Return to Index  

On anonymity

June 28 2012 at 2:31 PM
Anonymous  (Login di_nyc)

Response to Yes and a comment

I agree with this Dee! I'm very familiar with anon posts and trolling in other online communities (not saying all the different anons on this and the over 40 board are trolling, but some of the comments could definitely be described as that), and these posts don't read like they all come from the same person to me either.

However, I think it's important to draw a distinction between anonymous posts that are negative or inflammatory, and anonymous posts where people just need to not reveal their identity for good reasons due to their personal situation at a particular time. I know we all have usernames that aren't our full--or sometimes even our real--names, but a lot of identifying details do become associated with our profiles here over time. Which is fine with me as I have no reason not to post as myself and can't imagine I ever will, but I know people have different situations in life, and I would hate to see someone not ask for help just because she was afraid to post under a known identity or pseudonym for some reason or other.

In other words: not all anon posting is always bad, and I think most of us can tell when someone is posting anonymously for negative reasons. When that happens, as in the response to Sara's welcome post below, I personally feel like the best thing for me to do is just try to ignore it (even if the post is upsetting). In my experience, people often don't persist in behavior that doesn't get them the desired response. So I think that the more people adopt a "do not engage" policy, the more effective they will be in getting the negative anons in question to knock it off. As always, just my opinion, but I really value the resource this community represents, and I hate to see people more unhappy than they need to be due to having to deal with infertility in the first place!

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. And of course that just posted anonymously! - di_nyc on Jun 28, 2012, 2:34 PM
  3. Totally agree-not all anon posting bad - DeeinNYC on Jun 28, 2012, 8:05 PM
    1. I agree, too! - Sara H on Jun 29, 2012, 6:18 PM
      1. I agree too - Sara Q on Jul 1, 2012, 4:51 PM

Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement