Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Re: Question for EmmaS (success ment)
    • EmmaS (no login)
      Posted Apr 16, 2011 6:25 PM

Hi betz77,

I'm glad you found an RE who is willing to follow this through and who is willing to work with more challenging cases... Yes, for check you need a face to face initial consult, but other doctors at Cooper may be willing to do it all over the phone.

As for my 'protocol', for about 8 months last year I was following Check's advice and taking estinyl (ethinyl estradiol), usually 20 micrograms per day, to bring down my FSH and see if any follicles would start growing once the hormonal environment was 'normalized'. The estinyl was quite successful at lowering my FSH, but I did not grow a single follicle during this time and my estrogen stayed quite low, although it would rise a little every cycle (over-suppression is something mentioned quite a bit on these boards and I suspect that is what this was). I would stay on estinyl for 2-3 weeks and once estrogen started dropping off (usually it would go up a little and then start dropping off) they would advise me to start Provera to bring on a period and start again. Because I never produced a follicle, I was also not an IVF/stimming candidate and he did not really propose any 'protocol' as such - at one point we had a phone conversation about whether it is worthwhile trying stims, so he said I could try Clomid and 'see what happens'. My RE here refused to prescribe Clomid, but agreed to Puregon - which Check was OK with too. This achieved nothing, really, except for raising my FSH (Puregon is basically FSH) and it took a while for it to come down to 'normal' levels... I'm writing this so you know what the outcome was for me and to be realistic - but your situation may be very different to mine and many women here have had better success with Check. There were also recent discussions on the board (last week I think) about managing OOT monitoring with Cooper/Check - someone advised to schedule regular phone consults to speak to an RE directly (once you become a patient there), rather than communicate primarily with nursing staff and I think this is excellent advice. You need to ask to be put on the relevant doctor's call back list and they will schedule for the doctor to ring you directly.

I am still formally a patient of Check's but have reservations about what estinyl can do for me, so am reluctant to go back on it. I decided that it was time to move on in January 2011 and just stopped everything, including monitoring. In March, I went for a blood test as I thought I had ovulated (could feel some ovary pain) and they saw a follicle of 5mm which grew to 17mm in a week - we tried timed intercourse with a trigger (following Check's advice) but it was a BFN. This was the first follicle that I developed a follicle in nearly 2 years, so at least that was something. I am currently just monitoring this next cycle, waiting to see what will happen. I thought I'd share this so that you know where I am up to, but mine is a very tough case and you may well be very different - there are many women here who are in a much better position and have been successful with Check and others...

Good luck and best wishes on this tricky path...

EmmaS

Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement