<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Australia - Melbourne/Sydney Doctors Specializing in FSH

August 27 2007 at 4:44 PM
gina  (Login gina_d)

Hi All,

I live in the States, but my husband (an Aussie) and I are considering moving to Oz next summer. We are going over at Christmas and I'd like to set up an initial visit in either Melbourne or Sydney with a doctor that specializes in working with women with high FSH. Can any of you recommend doctors to contact?

Also, will Medicare cover IVF treatments for women with high FSH? Already know I'm eligible as a permanent resident.

Thanks!
Gina

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
SydneyGal
(no login)

IVF Australia

August 27 2007, 5:28 PM 

Hi Gina, I have consulted with Dr Frank Quinn of IVF Australia, he is at their Chatswood office. The website is http://www.ivf.com.au. IVF Australia has many clinics around Sydney with many doctors, I have heard that many doctors aren't FSH friendly so be careful when choosing who to consult with. I liked Dr Quinn alot, he didn't flinch with my FSH of 18 and me being over 40. We discussed protocols and he agreed to do an IVF cycle, but I live in the States right now so logistically it hasn't worked out yet so I am cycling here in California right now. I still keep him in the back of my mind in case the opportunity comes up to cycle in Sydney.

Can't answer about Medicare because although I am an Australia citizen, I am currently a non-resident for tax purposes so am not covered at this point in time.

Respond to this message   
lexi
(no login)

some info for you (long)

August 27 2007, 8:06 PM 

Medicare covers unlimited IVF treatments for anyone regardless of age or FSH...as long as they have a medicare card and get a doctor to treat them!! It is a fantastic system. There is a small (well relatively) gap payment, but once you are over the 'out of pocket' threshold (about $1000 I think) they cover 80% of the gap as well. I get away with paying less than $1000 per cycle, but I have private health insurance which helps with the costs on retrieval day.
I live in Melbourne, but cycle in Sydney with Jeffrey Persson at IVF Australia. I'm not sure how FSH friendly he is as mine is only midly elevated, but I am a terrible responder, and he is fine with that. Obviously doesn't care about his stats. I know he treats a lot of women in the older age group, and according to him he is very successful, though we can't get stats on our docs over here, so who knows. I have my dd thanks to him...my docs in Melbourne told me to give up!!!
There are probably good docs in Melbourne as well, Lyndon Hale from Melbourne IVF is supposed to be great, but I don't know about the FSH angle there.
Check out
Melbourne IVF - www.mivf.com.au (where my dud doctors were)
Monash IVF - www.monashivf.com.au (has a slightly better rep, but who knows)
Sydney IVF - www.sydneyivf.com.au (supposed to be the best, but are twice the price)
IVF Australia - www.ivf.com.au
All these websites have prices and doctor profiles.
Good luck with everything. Let us know how you go, and enjoy the trip at Christmas!!

Respond to this message   
gina
(no login)

Thanks Lexi & SydneyGal

August 28 2007, 5:04 AM 

Great info - thanks so much! I'm currently at Cooper and hoping to do my first IVF next month - on provera now and waiting for AF to determine if my hormone levels are OK to start cycling. I'm just getting a back up plan in place just in case Cooper doesn't work out for me.

We can't wait to go over to Australia at Christmas! Counting the days!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement