<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Does low estrogen mean high FSH?

April 27 2011 at 7:57 PM
Sara H  (no login)

I am cycle day 11. I have been having crazy hot flashes this month, sometimes 5 a day. (The only time before this this I have ever had hot flashes is when they put me on Clomid.) They have gotten worse as the cycle has gone on.

My temps have been dropping, with a .5 drop today. Almost positive OPK today. (Yes, BD just in case) The only thing different this cycle is that I have added vit. D3 and Ubiquinol, everything else is the same. Could those do it???

My question is this:

The hot flashes mean low estrogen, from everything I have read, but does it mean high FSH? I have my first Dr. Check appointment next week, I have not have my levels tested in 6 months, I just want to be forewarned before I go in if my FSH is going to be through the roof.

Please be very honset in what you think.

Thank you, Ladies!
Sara H.

PS- Hot flashes suck! happy.gif

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
KerriA
(no login)

Well,

April 27 2011, 8:13 PM 

it's the estrogen from the follicles that will ultimately trigger the surge and your temperature dropped -so both would suggest your estrogen is up. Another sign of estrogen would be increased CM.
kerri

Respond to this message   
Sara H
(no login)

Thank you, it's interesting, right?

April 28 2011, 6:05 AM 

Thank you, Kerri, great insight!
I had not thought of the temp and surge as signs as well.

I have not had great CM, though I have been drinking my grapefruit juice, which usually helps a lot. Felt like I had an O pain yesterday but I could just be digestion from dinner! (Sometimes I get quick, sharp cramps after I eat, especially red meat! Not helpful!)

Thank you!

Respond to this message   
Tanya
(no login)

grapefruit juice

April 28 2011, 7:18 AM 

While I am thinking of it, I thought I should point out that if you go on estyinl you cannot have grapefruit juice. Not sure why but there is a warning on the label. May be something to ask Dr. Check about.

Respond to this message   
Sara H.
(no login)

Oh, very good to know!

April 28 2011, 7:55 PM 

I have not taken any meds at all, just my grapefruit juice but I have to say... I'll really miss it if I go on the meds! Sadness!

Strange, right?

Respond to this message   
Tracy
(Login kittygirltx)

I've had some months like that....

April 27 2011, 9:51 PM 

I usually go on to ovulate. I think in my case, I have the hot flashes when follicles are stalled or slow to respond. Once they kick into gear and I notice EWCM, the hot flashes stop. I agree that they are miserable! I've had night sweats before, but only recently had the hot flashes. They almost feel like a panic attack to me. I think I'm gonna have to do HRT when menopause finally strikes to ease them. Regarding your FSH, it is hard to say. I think even if you have high FSH and low E2 this cycle, it doesn't necessarily mean you will next month. I'll have a really great cycle after a crappy, strange one. Hope that helps.

xoxo, Tracy

Respond to this message   
Sara H
(no login)

Tracy, I hope so!

April 28 2011, 6:10 AM 

My Cm is getting better but not yet fully there. But, here's to the hot flashes being done with O! That would be great!

Mine have not been that bad, just really bothersome. So far they are well handled with taking off some layers, which I always wear.

So, I hope you are right for me as well and I follow your pattern of a great cycle next month, since the timing would be wonderful!

Thank you for your note, it really helps!

Respond to this message   
JH
(Login jmharper34)

probably (child ment)

April 28 2011, 5:48 AM 

I have had a lot of hot flashes/night sweats and know that it is definitely low estrogen. My understanding is that FSH and estrogen are linked, although that is not to say that you will never ovulate! I am an infrequently ovulator (word?) and when I ovulate it is a good egg. .

Jill 35
TTC since 11/09ish
DS 2/6/08 (TTC ~ 1 year with only 3 Os!)
High FSH 28.7

Respond to this message   
Sara H
(no login)

I am usually about FSH 28, too

April 28 2011, 6:20 AM 

But I seem to O every month, sadly, 'not so good' eggs!

Since we are similar levels (at least last time I was checked) may I ask if OPKs work for you? The seem to for me, though sometimes my surge last a few days, not just 1, but then it drops off as it should.

Well, I guess I will prep myself for a big high number... now I need to decided where my cut off is. I know one lady found success over 100, but she is the golden exception, not the rule. I think for me it might be 50, but we'll see what Check says and how I feel then, you know?

Thank you for your comments, Jill, I am grateful!

Sara H

Respond to this message   
Tanya
(no login)

For me

April 28 2011, 6:36 AM 

Cooper has told me that an FSH of twenty-something is not that high. Last month they put me on estyinl and it took some tweaking but in the end, it definitely lowered my FSH. I had a consult with Dr. Cohen during last months cycle and she explained that when your FSH is elevated it isnt good for the egg but if they can lower it (which they do with estyinl) the egg doesnt know your FSH was high and is still viable. I am paraphrasing here, her explanation was much better.
The other thing she said was it isnt always good if you O before CD10 so if they can lower your FSH then it can prevent the early O.

As far as OPKs, I asked Dr. Check about that and the silly RE earlier this week. They both said when you have elevated FSH, you often have elevated LH which can cause the OPKs not to work that well. For me, if I use the smiley face OPK they seem to work, the others ones are questionable. I just bought some cheapies from early pregnancy tests.com, Ill let you know how those work.

Respond to this message   
Sara H.
(no login)

Thank you, Tanya

April 28 2011, 11:06 AM 

That is great to know about the 20's. My highest was 39, but I am not sure what cycle day, usually on day three is has been 20's. I got a 7 once during monitoring and we did an IUI, negative, and I have a 14 in my records from a mid-cycle test, but that was two years ago! Uggg! So good to know they don't worry too much about 20's and we'll see what I pop up with next week.

Thank you for the OPK info as well. I just see people saying "they don't work for me" but I don't know what they mean by that? They always get positives? Or never?

Great news about eggs and lowering FSH, thank you!

Respond to this message   
Tanya
(no login)

Mine were always positive (n/t)

April 28 2011, 11:24 AM 

Respond to this message   
maureen
(no login)

I've had a few of those months

April 28 2011, 6:37 AM 

Sometimes they happen after taking stims the month prior. Then the next month is fine. Check put me on estinyl once because of them and that stopped them immediately. I took it for a week or so then stoped, ovulated, and went on like life was normal. Don't worry, high fsh and hot flashes don't intimidate Check.

I've also had hot flashes when my thryoid is off, so you might want to get that tested as well. My levels really fluctuated, so I asked to be tested when I was feeling really bad and that's how they caught it.

GL!
Maureen

Respond to this message   
Sara H
(no login)

That is a great point...

April 28 2011, 11:14 AM 

about it being good to be tested on a bad cycle. I have not done it but I have been very tempted to take some things to help the hot flashes and such but I did not as I wanted Dr. Check to have a full picture of what was going on. I am just sure that the high estrogen has probably screwed up my lining... but I will try to stay positive!

My thyroid was check a while ago but I will ask about that, too!

Thank you very much for responding!

Sara H.

Respond to this message   
Rebekah
(Login Bestbehavior)

Understand a little better now

April 28 2011, 2:55 PM 

I am glad to read these responses because I had some questions for the nurses at Cooper but now I think I'll just skip those questions! Today's CD2/3 b/w were LH 15, P4 .02 E2 20 and FSH 24 (boo). They wanted me to start estinyl. Ofcourse I was annoyed at the answering machine because I had just done 4 months of that stuff and nada follicle to show. But I feel more comfortable knowing some of these responses. (And I do have a possible follicle this round). One of these days I'll get it and start the estinyl prior to the CD3 test but just forgot about it on my break cycle.

Respond to this message   
Rebekah
(Login Bestbehavior)

Just say no to hot flashes.

April 28 2011, 3:21 PM 

And meant to say I dislike hot flashes too. I got them a lot Jan-Mar. Check thought it was more related to the low progesterone. Hence I used the natural progesterone while I was on a break from Check happy.gif (Just say "no" to hot flashes)

Respond to this message   
Sara H.
(no login)

Hummm, that's interesting...

April 28 2011, 4:08 PM 

low progesterone does it too??? Maybe that would explain that fact that I got the positive OPK and have felt O pains but have V dryness, no real CM and hot flashes...

I thought only low estrogen did that! So interesting that they are so similar with their symptoms.

Thank you for the idea!

Sara H.

Respond to this message   
Rebekah
(Login Bestbehavior)

Re: Hummm, that's interesting...

April 28 2011, 4:52 PM 

I think you can have low estrogen but even lower progesterone. I believe I read somewhere that progesterone is the first hormone to deplete from the body. Are you basing your O's on your LH surge and AF? It could be that you aren't Oing or releasing the follicle and then your body would not make the extra progesterone that month. Check originally suggested the low progesterone to me. Hope this helps!

Respond to this message   
Sara H.
(no login)

Could well be, but I will be really bummed...

April 28 2011, 7:08 PM 

since up until now those numbers have always been really good, it was just FSH that was up. It would be a bad sign, I think.

Well, truth will out next week...

Thanks for the thoughts!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement