<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

confused about DOR

May 18 2011 at 12:31 PM
bigboy  (Login bigboy09)

everything i read is conflicting! i read positive things like age is a good factor in DOR (im 31) in terms of quality. that bc im young i still have a good number of quality eggs left despite the DOR. THEN i read, that with DOR, the body ovulates the good eggs first, before you have DOR or before the DOR has started to advance. So, does that mean that my eggs are then sh*t despite my age? Im kind of typing in a rather sarcastic manner. There is just a lot of conflicting info out there. Im gathering that no one really knows the answer regarding egg quality and DOR. Any thoughts?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Depends on who you talk to I think

May 18 2011, 12:58 PM 

My previous RE said the same- that your body uses the best eggs first. I'm currently with Dr. Check and asked him about this. He says that the ratio of good eggs to bad should be the same, I just have less of them. I like Dr. Check's theory better, of course:) I do think age is still on your side, as I believe the quality of even the best eggs deteriorates naturally over time. But I'm not a Dr. so don't quote me on that!

Respond to this message   
Sara H.
(Login 2Dogs1Cat)

Could you list your stats again?

May 18 2011, 1:24 PM 

Seem like RE's sometimes though out phrases like 'DOR' when it really isn't true, what they mean is "on the path to..." So first lets make sure the DOR is what you should be focused on at all.

As it is, I agree with the fact that age is really on your side!

Hang in there, this is all super confusing but feel better, it is confusing for Dr.s as well, that is why there are so many opinions!

Hugs, Sara H

Respond to this message   
bigboy
(Login bigboy09)

my stats

May 18 2011, 1:32 PM 

sorry - i never know when to list them. and my stats are kind of involved.

so im 31, soon to be 32.
three years ago i had HA (hypothalamic amennorhea), didnt ovulate for 6 months due to excercise and weight. went to RE and he told me to gain weight and diagnosed the HA.(my BMI was 19.2 btw) i gained 5 lbs, got my period, and the following cycle we did clomid and i got pregnant with my son.
...fast-forward 3 years later, we TTC for #2 in jan...got pregnant but m/c at 5.5 weeks. my OB wasnt worried as i ovulate at "good times" of the month and have regular periods. i was worried. went back to RE in may and he found the FSH at 12.3 and the AFC at 8. E2 was normal (like 40 or 45) AMH to come but im sure it will suck.
i probably had the DOR when i got pregnant with my son, as the AFC was 9 back then. FSH was fine, nor was the E2 elevated, but my RE just figured i was coming off of the HA, hense the AFC count....he thinks that if i didnt get pregnant with my son so quickly, it would have been found back then.

Respond to this message   
bigboy
(Login bigboy09)

DS MENT in that response Sara

May 18 2011, 1:32 PM 

Respond to this message   
Sara H.
(no login)

I hope other's will pipe in here...

May 18 2011, 5:30 PM 

But that is really not very elevated FSH and 8 is not bad. I am surprised that it was called DOR but maybe I am totally off base here, ladies?

Respond to this message   
Sara H
(no login)

Give this a read...

May 18 2011, 5:34 PM 

Well documented article about DOR, worth a read.

Hope this helps!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_ovarian_reserve

Respond to this message   
bigboy
(Login bigboy09)

Re: Give this a read...

May 18 2011, 6:27 PM 

that's a good article - go wiki. thanks unfortunately yes, i was still diagnosed with DOR...a lot of other stuff i have read in the internet, refers to similar stats as mine as DOR too....

Respond to this message   
bigboy
(Login bigboy09)

Re: I hope other's will pipe in here...

May 18 2011, 6:14 PM 

well who knows what my next CD3 draws will be you know? that was just ONE random draw. i find it hard to believe that that random draw will be my highest. i hope so, but am doubtful....i also havent gotten my AMH #.

Respond to this message   
AJ
(no login)

I also think

May 18 2011, 6:31 PM 

there are varying degrees of DOR. A Dr. could say your reserve is lower than other women in your age group based on your FSH and AFC. So, you probably would not have the same response to follicle stimulating drugs as another 31 year old would have. It certainly doesn't mean you won't have success. It just might take a little more time/effort than the average woman your age. And I've always heard that age is the most important factor here-

Respond to this message   

(Login ceemonkey)

I agree

May 18 2011, 6:51 PM 

That there are varying degrees of DOR. And I think some REs are too liberal with their diagnoses of DOR and POF. There are other factors to consider but some just see an FSH of over 10 and boom! You're DOR.

Respond to this message   
bigboy
(Login bigboy09)

Re: I agree

May 18 2011, 7:36 PM 

thanks for your responses everyone : )

Respond to this message   
sarita
(no login)

analogy

May 18 2011, 7:27 PM 

Hi, I'm a first time poster but I wanted to respond because I too am 31 and was diagnosed DOR and I still don't know what it really means!. My FSH is a little higher than yours (11.7, 9.6). The best analogy I've heard is this: it like rolling the dice and high FSH just means we have to roll the dice more times than someone roughly the same age with average fsh. I think people with high fsh do have good eggs it's just a matter of getting one.

Respond to this message   

(Login gisg)

I love that analogy! n/t

May 18 2011, 8:00 PM 

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

It's worth trying....

May 19 2011, 5:42 AM 

I am 31 years old and my fsh was 11.5 and afc of 10. my RE said with my age it would be worth a try. Unfortunately things went very poorly, but at least we knew for sure where I stood. I know there are people on here that will say due to your age you have a great chance, that isn't necessarily true..you may or you may not. The other factor is how long are you willing to do this for and how much money can you sink into it.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: It's worth trying....

May 19 2011, 7:32 PM 

I understand. Age isn't everything. Did you try IVF? I'm just starting myfirst cycle and really have no idea what to expect.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

May 19 2011, 8:29 PM 

Yes, I did try IVF and for me it was the proof that I needed to show me what direction to go in next. Sure, I wish things could have gone great but the fact that they went so terrible, helped me to know I was making the right decision on what to do next. My RE was willing to let me cycle more times but she made it clear that we would be doing it purely for emotional reasons. I know there are plenty of people on here that would encourage me to keep on trying with my own eggs because technically there is a possibility for success but for me, the way my cycles went backed up what my fsh, and amh predicted. I actuallly did three ivf cycles, I was optimistic because so many people say age matters so much but unfortunately in my case it just wasn't meant to be. Good luck to you, and I hope that age proves to be the advantage that you need for success!

Respond to this message   
bigboy
(Login bigboy09)

May 21 2011, 12:45 PM 

i am chiming in really late to this but, just because IVF wasnt the solution for you doesnt mean you can never get pregnant. unless there is information that you are not sharing. it is a known fact that with low AFC/AMH, the probability of responding to IVF treatments arent that great, but it doesnt mean that you cannot get pregnant on your own, cycling naturally. again, im saying this not knowing detailed informaiton about you, or if there has been something uncovered about the quality of your eggs. and even if the eggs they obtained from IVF arent "good quality" that doesnt mean they are all like that....

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - confused about DOR
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement