<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Necessary to take antibiotic pre and post HSG?

January 23 2012 at 7:45 PM
SL  (no login)

I had an HSG a couple of years ago and don't remember being on antibiotics. I'm sure I didn't have to take it. But I have to repeat my HSG and this clinic wants me to take an antibiotic starting the night before the procedure.
Is this really necessary? I just don't want to be putting in any more drugs in my body than I already am.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
minka
(no login)

I didn't take antibiotics before mine

January 23 2012, 8:02 PM 

It seems like your Dr. Is being extra cautious to prevent an infection but it's not necessary. The only thing I was instructed to take was an ibuprofen a few hours beforehand to help with the pain/cramping from the HSG.

Respond to this message   
Sara H
(no login)

Well...

January 23 2012, 8:12 PM 

I am very anti anti-biotics since their over use has lead to horrible and incurable infections. (One of which, MRSA, killed my grandfather)

However: there are scary bug in hospitals and clinic and they are doing what does amount to an invasive procedure.

If you are already taking them STAY ON THEM as stopping can lead to bigger issues if you did pick up a bug.

If you are not it is up to you but I did for mine as an infection in your uterus and tubes could be a lot more damaging then one round of anti-biotics.

Totally up to you and good luck!
Sara H

Respond to this message   
Mrs. A
(Login 39andTTC)

I didn't for mine (I've had 2 done) but

January 23 2012, 9:51 PM 

now that I think about this and a friend who's had PID, I think there are instances where you would take as a precautionary measure.  I'd ask the doctor.  I'm sure it's a short course and I wouldn't be too concerned about it assuming he gives you what sounds like a reasonable reason to take.

Respond to this message   
smrc
(no login)

I have had 3 at 2 different clinics

January 24 2012, 7:00 AM 

and have never had to take antiobiotics before or after (only Advil to help with any discomfort was ever suggested).

Respond to this message   
teresa
(no login)

Re: Necessary to take antibiotic pre and post HSG?

January 24 2012, 7:09 AM 

Hi!
I took doxycycline hyclate before and for 2 days post HSG.
I was advised, and took, advil half hour prior to the HSG.
For me, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's a quick procedure.
Wishing you the best!!

Respond to this message   
Mrs. McIrish
(no login)

antibiotics

January 24 2012, 7:48 AM 

I only took anitbiotics after the HSG. Only took ibuprofen an hour beforehand.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement