<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Question about Ovulation

January 24 2012 at 8:01 AM
BrewersFan  (Login voxfan)

I apologize if this is a stupid question or one that has been asked many times before...

I have an FSH level of 21. My cycles are usually 28 days with ovulation happening around day 14 or 15. After all of the stress I have endured the past 2 weeks, I was shocked to see that I am ovulating on day 15 again (per the smiley face on the Clearblue test).

Is it normal to still ovulate regularly even though I have high FSH?

Thanks so much for any information!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
kris
(no login)

I think so, yes (pg, m/c ment)

January 24 2012, 8:10 AM 

When I first landed in an RE's office with an FSH of 18, that very cycle I got pregnant without any stims at all, just u/s monitoring and TI. Unfortunately, I had an early miscarriage but it certainly goes to show you you can still ovulate! I'm sure some other experienced ladies here would say the same, and even speak of success despite a high FSH. I don't think it necessarily means you have an ovulation problem, maybe just less quantity than others (I guess that might also depend on age).

Respond to this message   
smrc
(no login)

I still

January 24 2012, 8:33 AM 

ovulate regularly/"properly" despite FSH in the 20s, and I also have good E2 levels, etc. at the time of ovulation. Sometimes I do ovulate too early, but FSH most likely speaks to the quality of my follicle.

SMRC

Respond to this message   
Mrs. McIrish
(no login)

I O regularly as well

January 24 2012, 8:51 AM 

My FSH is usually around 17 and I O regularly. My cycles have been a bit wonky though and can vary from 20 days to 38 days. On a natural cycle this month, I O'd on Cd10. My E2 levels at O are always fine.

Respond to this message   
BrewersFan
(Login voxfan)

Thank you ladies

January 24 2012, 9:16 AM 

Thanks for your responses.

So is it safe to say that we are still releasing an egg every month but it is likely of poor quality?

Respond to this message   
Mrs. McIrish
(no login)

quality

January 24 2012, 9:26 AM 

High FSH is not supposed to say anything about the quality of the egg- just that you won't get a lot of eggs with stims.

Quality of the egg is most directly related to age. The older you are, the higher the chance that the egg is no good.

Also, the egg could be totally good but you had a bad lining that month, thick CM that sperm can't penetrate to fertilize the egg etc. Lots of variables for why it doesn't stick.

Respond to this message   
BrewersFan
(Login voxfan)

Higher Odds Then of Conception?

January 24 2012, 10:19 AM 

Mrs. McIrish,

My doctor said that I have less than 1/2 a percent chance per month of conceiving naturally since I have high FSH. Do you think this would actually be higher since I am actually ovulating regularly?

Sorry for all of these questions - this is all very new to me and trying to wrap my head around everything.

Thanks so much! happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Mrs. McIrish
(no login)

remind me of your numbers?

January 24 2012, 10:31 AM 

It's a tough call...especially with specific percentages! Remind me of your age, FSH/AFC/ AMH and do you have any MFI or other issues (endo, blocked tubes etc).

I was told by my last RE(who I am no longer seeing) that I had less than 5% chance of getting pg with IVF and that it was essentially the same percentage of getting pg naturally (I only got 2 eggs with IVF so I can understand why it is similar percentages). But with little tweaks from Check (such as mucinex, estrace, p4, IUI in case of murky CM etc) I feel like I have a little extra chance each month. You never know what the missing piece will be and I think DOR ladies need extra attention in that regard and mainstream RE's don't want to take the time to do that. Will I be successful? Don't know... I try not to think of the percentages and just do what I can do to better the odds.

Respond to this message   
BrewersFan
(Login voxfan)

Re: remind me of your numbers?

January 24 2012, 10:38 AM 

My FSH is 21 and AMH is less than .16 (at 36 years old). I do not have any other structural issues, etc.

Thanks for the information!

Respond to this message   
Mrs. McIrish
(no login)

Age is the best determinant!

January 24 2012, 10:55 AM 

At 36, you should have some good eggs still in there!It's just a matter of finding them.

Respond to this message   
Laura
(no login)

Don't listen to %s...(success ment)

January 24 2012, 11:04 AM 

I think Dr's throw them around without remembering what they mean.

A %age should come from a research article. Ask where the number comes from and for a copy of the article, or reference you can look up yourself. Ask what treatments it is based on (TI only vs. stims + TI?). It should NOT just be numbers from their own clinic, which can be distorted because they can pick/choose patients.

My last cycle FSH=22. AFC=3 max. e2 lower than Flo Rida. But only 1 mg Estrace daily and TI got me a BFP. My RE did not blink at my FSH. He did not spout a perceived success rate, nor give me the DE speech. If your RE will not give you a plan for how to treat your FSH and get you pg, then find a new Dr.

Respond to this message   
mel
(no login)

Barge to Laura (BFP ment)

January 24 2012, 11:57 AM 

Congrats again on your BFP!!!

Wanted to ask you about Estrace, since you said you used it daily with TI...

When in your cycle did you start using it and for how long (throughout cycle)?

How long had you been taking it prior to this cycle?

Thanks!

Respond to this message   
Laura
(no login)

Estrace info

January 24 2012, 2:20 PM 

I took it on CD3-CD17. I had never taken it before. My RE originally gave it to me to stop AF, which had been dragging on for over a week. I went in on CD18 and u/s with p4 confirmed O. He then said to stop taking it. Don't know why, since many women take it the whole cycle.

Respond to this message   
Mrs. A
(no login)

I was always very regular with my cycles and ovulation n/t

January 24 2012, 10:54 AM 

Respond to this message   
jkl
(no login)

great question

January 24 2012, 11:19 AM 

This is the mystery of high FSH. I think originally they had the theory that the eggs were bad quality (more eggs with chromosomal problems) but this turned out not to be the case.

Obviously there is a problem with the eggs (or possibly uterine environment) but nobody knows what that is. I did ask my RE once and she didn't really have a good answer, although there is research suggesting the eggs/embryos don't divide properly. Everybody should ask their RE as it would be interesting. The good thing is, clearly some eggs escape the problem and become embryos and then babies, so there is definitely lots of hope with high FSH.

jkl

Respond to this message   
BrewersFan
(Login voxfan)

Re: great question

January 24 2012, 12:20 PM 

The more and more I read, the happier I am that I have made an appointment with another RE. It does seem as if there is so much more to be learned/researched about FSH and DOR. These "canned" responses from some RE's are very frustrating.

Respond to this message   
jkl
(no login)

totally

January 24 2012, 12:30 PM 

I don't know if the docs don't realize they don't know the answer or if for some reason they are just reluctant to say I don't know. Must be something they teach in med school. It took me quite a few tries to actually pin my doc down on this question.

That's why i think it would be good if everybody asks it, so the docs really start thinking about it. So the question is: " What exactly is wrong with my eggs?" And don't let them get away with saying not of good quality! --respond with "what quality are you talking about?" Because it is not a chromosomal thing.

Respond to this message   
bigboy
(no login)

i did....

January 24 2012, 12:30 PM 

my FSH wasnt as high as yours was though...i had it checked 3 times last year and the "highest" was 12 but who knows if it was higher in other months. my AMH is very low though, especially for my age, it's 0.22 - or was in july. but i had 28-29 day cycles, usually ovulated on day 14 and had 13-14 day luteal phases. we were only TTC for 4 months before i went back to an RE...against my OB's wishes because she said i was "fine.".

Respond to this message   
DeeinNYC
(no login)

Yes...

January 24 2012, 1:33 PM 

My highest FSH was 18.2 and up until a recent m/c, I had a 28 day cycle and ovulated CD 13 or 14 without exception. This is a good sign for you. GL!!

Respond to this message   
Cee
(no login)

Re: Question about Ovulation

January 25 2012, 6:37 PM 

When I found out about my high FSH I was shocked - my only symptom was that I hadn't gotten pregnant yet! I was very regular with regular O's - the only thing was my cycles were usually 26 days but they had ALWAYS been. So yeah, I think it's totally normal. Why this makes REs think we're doomed is beyond me! GL!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement