<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

For the new folks- welcome and...

April 5 2012 at 8:18 AM
Erin  (no login)

First off, welcome! Sara H has a welcome post that she posts from time to time, so I've borrowed it here just to remind the newer posters about some ways that we post here. Please take a second to read over the message below and remember to put a "warning" parentheses in your post title if it contains any of the hot-button issues mentioned in the 3rd tip. Thanks so much and welcome again- there's a lot of good knowledge to be shared here!

p.s. Sara H- Hope you don't mind my stealing your post! happy.gif

1) Use the "Search" on this site when you have a question (remember to push "date" so they are in order, recent to last, since you can sometimes get answers from 10 years ago!) Often I have my questions answered right there with no need to post!

2) We use a LOT of acronyms here that are hard to get your head around sometimes if you are new to it! Here are 2 sources: ( I have them book marked on my computer and I still use when I have questions!

http://www.ivfconnections.com/forums/content.php/122-Infertility-and-Parenting-Acronyms?s=c99eb5d159dc96c8149d642781df2f22

http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/acronyms.

3) You will notice in some posts that people are very careful to say in the message title when things involving children and pregnancy are mentioned. So, if at some point you are mentioning pregnancy (hopefully someday yours!) or whatever just put your topic and (PG mentioned) in the title, if you have a child and mention that please put (Child mentioned) so if someone is having a bad day and knows they just can't read about it today they are forewarned! Other "disclaimers" include (DE Mentioned) for donor egg, (Adopt Mentioned) for adoption, (M/C Mentioned) for miscarriage or (TMI!) when something is graphic or very very personal! Basically, anything that someone might rather be warned about before reading. Although we all share one thing in common, we all come from varied backgrounds so we try to be sensitive to that as much as possible.

4) We tend to be a more fact-based board. Sometimes it's not all rainbows and hopeful news. We are totally supportive but also more factual/scientific than a lot of other boards. But, there is a LOT of knowledge here that can be so very helpful! Just remember, we are only speaking from our own experience and not giving medical advice. You know the old adage: You get what you paid for! Each person is very different, what works for one may well not, work for another, but it can be very helpful to get you on the right track.

5) When you need inspiration go peek at the "Pregnant...." board! You can cruise over to check on "friends" who have made it there or when you are feeling down... it's rather joyful to see ladies who have found success!

Good luck!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sara H
(no login)

Good! Share this at will! :-) Welcome, New Ladies! (NT)

April 5 2012, 11:59 AM 

Respond to this message   
Julie
(Login Julie100)

Re: For the new folks- welcome and...

April 5 2012, 6:00 PM 

Thank you very much for your kind reminder, Erin.

Sorry that I wasn't aware of the rules - I should have put a warning sign in the title. It is a very good suggestion to be more sensitive to others' feelings. I still remember how I felt when I was first diagnosed with DOR.

I sincerely apologize. All the best to ladies on this board.

Respond to this message   
Erin
(no login)

No problem at all Julie!

April 5 2012, 6:25 PM 

It's hard to follow rules if you don't know what they are! happy.gif I know on other boards I've followed it wasn't the norm to put the disclaimers in the title, but I like that we do it here given how sensitive I think we can all feel at times. We were all new here once so please, don't worry about it. Wishing you lots of good luck and welcome again!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement