<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Honey, I think IVF Shrunk my Ovary! (Everything mentioned)

July 25 2012 at 9:53 PM
Michelle in SF  (no login)

Hi Ladies,
So I flew across country from SF to see Dr. Che.ck on Monday. My stats (as of Aug last year) FSH 16, E2 20, AMH .16. I just turned 39. I also just had a failed cycle at U.csf (one follicle removed, it fertilized, then transferred two-cell two-day embryo, bfn) and the doctor that I went to (who specializes in POF and DOR supposedly) gave me the DE speech. This is the second doctor to give it to me. My AFC is only one or two now and I had a surgery last May where the bastard surgeon chopped off more than half my ovary. Guess he forgot who I was on the table, as he promised me and convinced me this would only happen if the endometrioma looked malignant. Major hot flashes, no period, high FSH, an ultraound in August ordered by OB that confirmed my ovary was basically gone. Called his office hysterical and spoke with his nurse. He has never to this day called me to explain why he did it. His notes did not mention it either. The other ovary was operated on (not by him) while I was 22 weeks preg with DS because a cyst looked malignant...it wasn't, just an endometrioma. So now two ovaries both have been maimed by surgery.

Ok, so I had my ultrasound done, along with initial consult with Ch.eck. (We are definitely going to cycle with him at least once, because I'm not ready yet to do DE. Paid 16k total with meds at uc.sf, it will be around 4k with Check! I loved what he said about it being unethical that women that make low numbers of follicles (or one, in my case) and embryos pay the same as someone who makes a ton. So true.) So the ultrasound nurse measured my ovaries and said the right (that is the one chopped in half) is now bigger than my left! I had my ultrasound record from August to show her (not the actual pics though) and she said "maybe they measured wrong?" But I know they didn't because the machine they used for that ultrasound was amazing and crystal clear. I saw it with my own eyes. My left is now at least 50% smaller than it was in August! I am freaking out because during and after this second high-stim-IVF, my left ovary has been hurting a lot. And it wasn't hurting because it was getting big with follicles. None actually grew in that one. So I went on the internet and the only thing I can find is that maybe the ovary is shrinking now like they do at menopause? I've been having a ton of hot flashes too. Since I'm in DOR and don't make a lot of e2 anyway, could the ovary be dying? Did the High stims send it over the edge? And the weirdest thing, the right ovary, the one that was so small after surgery, with like a 1cc volume, has grown quite a bit. Whaa? The ultrasound nurse said I didn't have a cyst on it, so it can't be the reason. I just don't know what to think. I am freaking out. Am I fast-tracking towards menopause? Dr. Check didn't do my labs because i'm so late in my cycle. But i'm so curious and anxious about what my FSH might be? Sorry if this post is hard to follow...I'm so tired and scared right now. Has this happened to anyone? Thank you in advance for any and all advice! (Also, I have an appointment to have an ultrasound done here on Monday. The same place I had it done in August. )

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
MargieD
(no login)

I would wait until Monday's u/s....

July 26 2012, 6:17 AM 

I have had situations where the local RE (actually nurse) would say this or that and then when I got to Ch.ec.k's office, they'd say something else. In fact, at one time, the local RE said I had five follicles, but when I got to their office the next day or two, I had only one. From that experience, we decided to go to NJ a day or two earlier to confirm the number of follicles. I decided basically that the local nurse didn't know what she was doing. (What was weird was that the local RE changed their practices the next few cycles and the nurses no longer do the u/s there but the REs.)

Waiting until Monday will be hard, but I think the u/s would tell you a lot. See if they come up with the same measurements as Ch.ec.k's office.

Respond to this message   
Sara Q
(no login)

My ovaries have shrank considerably....

July 26 2012, 9:56 AM 

....in the last 2 years. Especially the left one. I think it happens with diminished ovarian reserve. I don't think, however, that means you should jump to thinking you are in menopause. Considering what a huge difference there was in the 2 measurements, I'd say at least some of it is due to human error. But even if you find that one (or both) of your ovaries are smaller, please don't think you are 'fast-tracking to menopause.' I've gone down that road with myself several times in the last 2 weeks and I think it might have just been unnecessary suffering. I totally understand what you're saying about being tired and scared. I am too. But I don't want you to go through the same pain I did this week for no confirmed reason.

Good luck on Monday.

Respond to this message   
Rebekah
(Login Bestbehavior)

Hey Michelle!

July 26 2012, 11:45 AM 

Hey there Michelle - glad your appt w/ Check was helpful! I agree there are discrepencies between clinics while measuring your ovaries. Smaller ovaries do mean "in general" approaching peri or menopause. I have not had AF in one year (clinical definition of menopause) but my OBgyn will not give me a menopause diagnosis due to my age (36). I have only had 1-2 antral follicles for the past 2 years. Even though my experience at Cooper was not successful - Dr. Check, my third RE was extremely knowledgable. We learned a lot from him and making the decision to move to DE was possible because we had our experience with him (hope that makes sense). Best of luck with your upcoming cycles.

Respond to this message   
jkl
(no login)

try not to worry about it (preg, child ment)

July 26 2012, 1:50 PM 

I don't know about the correlation between ovary size and DOR. I have very small ovaries too, to the point that most of the time they cannot find them on the baseline u/s. It was very depressing at first but then I got used to it. Now I tell the u/s tech not to worry about it, they are hard to find. Despite this, I am pregnant naturally with my third child at 42 (diagnosed with high FSH at 37). Lots of people lose one ovary completely but still have normal fertility so obviously the body adjusts even though the reserve has been cut in half. I think high FSH is more due to a hormonal problem than actual problems with reserve.

I can't believe you had an operation on your ovaries when you were pregnant, how scary! GL

jkl

Respond to this message   
Michelle in SF
(no login)

Thanks Everyone! You've made me feel a lot better!

July 26 2012, 9:54 PM 

now I'm going to post a bunch of questions about Dr. Check!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement