<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Has it been difficult for you to get your own embryo pictures?

September 21 2012 at 6:22 AM
Buddircup  (no login)

Hi, I recently had IVF with one embryo making it to blast. It didn't look so good they tell me. Although they wouldn't normally freeze it (my plan was to bank), they did since it was the farthest I have gotten. I requested pictures of the different stages of development so I could see for myself and better accept what happened. I was told the embryologist would send me a picture of it the day before it was frozen - that was several days ago and no word since then.

Can anyone give me their experience? Is it common practice for the lab to photograph the stages and give them to patients upon request or should I have thought of this and asked beforehand? I'm just not sure how much to press on this issue, because 1)I'm not sure how much fight I have in me right now and 2)because I did a package and still have 2 more tries left with my RE so I don't want to really piss the staff off!

Thanks for any advice.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sara Q
(no login)

Standard to give one embie picture

September 21 2012, 11:32 AM 

Hi Buddircup,

I think it's pretty standard protocol for the lab to give you one picture of your embryos. I asked once why they only give you one picture, and not one every day. They said that if you are constantly disturbing the embryos and subjecting them to light, you could damage them or hinder their development.

That said, CCRM never gave me any pictures of my 7 embies, all of which died between day 3 and day 5. So maybe they don't photograph them until right before they transfer and/or implant them and if they don't make it one way or another, there's no pictures. That's my best guess to why you're having a hard time getting a photo.

Good luck!
Sara Q

Respond to this message   
Sara Q
(no login)

typo

September 21 2012, 11:37 AM 

Sorry, I have a tendency to type too fast and not go over my messages before I post them.

What I meant above was that maybe the lab only takes a picture of the embies right before they either transfer or FREEZE them. And since yours didn't make it to the freeze and you hadn't intended to transfer, they didn't take a picture. That's my best guess.

If I were you I'd ask them to take a picture of your embies regardless of whether they deem them "good enough" quality to freeze next time. Hopefully if you ask them to do it ahead of time, they will.

Respond to this message   
Buddircup
(no login)

thanks

September 21 2012, 12:53 PM 

Hi Sara, thanks for your info. I had no prior experience with pics and your info is so helpful. I had never thought about it but it makes sense that light could damage them, since in vivo there are no bright lights!

I'm sorry about your embryos not making it too. It is such a hard thing. It's encouraging you got so many and that is great for positive results in the future.

Respond to this message   
b&a72
(no login)

embie picture

September 21 2012, 1:26 PM 

I agree with Sara Q that the picture is taken upon transfer because that is the last time they look at them and give it the final grade. They want to handle them the least amount of time as possible which is probably why they do it this way.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement