<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

question about HRT for POF ladies

October 9 2012 at 11:41 AM
pbean  (Login pbean)

Hello,

What advice have you been given about taking hormone replacement therapy for early menopause? (Without making this email too long, I expect to complete menopause before I turn 40). My RE says absolutely, I have to take HRT for my bones. I also get regular screens for breast cancer. (I have found lumps in the past and have a strong family history of getting breast cancer young). The oncologist said I absolutely cannot take HRT, given my family history. I told my RE about this in my next appointment and she pretty much laughed it off. (She actually laughed.) She said that I would take less hormones as compared to someone without POF and with normal cycles in their 40s and that the oncologist was wrong. Both doctors say it is my decision as to which risks I want to take/not take but both doctros seem very determined that they are giving me good advice and the other doctor is giving me bad advice.

Any thoughts?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login Emiley)

The good thing is that you have some time to get another opinion

October 9 2012, 4:31 PM 

I'm sorry you are receiving mixed messages on such an important issue.
One important thing I want to say is that you don't have to decide right now. A bit more time isn't going to make a difference. Gather more information before going forward.

Have you had a bone density baseline scan? See where that is at.

There are also ways to improve bone density without HRT, such as (of course) calcium and magnesium, but also strength training.

I also think you could investigate bio-identical hormones.

OR no hormones at all, or not yet.

Whatever the case, you definitely need another opinion.

I have POF at 40 and my RE did NOT say that HRT was an absolute right path. She was much more nuanced on the issue.

Best of luck in your investigation!

Respond to this message   
Jainee
(no login)

Re: question about HRT for POF ladies

October 9 2012, 4:48 PM 

In my personal opinion- I am not a doctor- but if there is a strong history of breast cancer in your family stay far away from estrogens.......there are other meds around and good healthy living to help your bones. It is not worth the risk to take estrogen- there are too many stories where women got sick from hormones. Definitely get a second opinion and only go to the top doctors!! Good luck Jainee

Respond to this message   
Nadia
(no login)

Agree with Jainee

October 10 2012, 3:51 AM 

I'm pof too I take hrt

But given ur fanily r history try other things like soy and tcm, bone vitamins.
Avoid hrt. Get another opinion too.

Gl

Nadia

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login pbean)

thank you for the advice

October 10 2012, 1:04 PM 

Finding out I am infertile has been depressing and then also trying to figure out the implications for my own health is just one more problem right now. Thank you for sharing and helping me feel like I am not the only one.

Respond to this message   
Laura
(no login)

You might consider a genetic counselor

October 10 2012, 6:01 PM 

Regarding your family history of bc. They can map your history and determine your "risk" for a BRCA mutation. Some insurance plans will cover the test if your calculated risk is above 10%. My mom had bc twice and I asked her to get tested. Her risk came in at 55% so her test was covered. Turns out she was BRCA 1, so that made my risk 50% and my test was also covered. My test was neg, so my risk for bc is the same as the general population now; the family history doesn't matter. This meant that I could go on hormones without fear.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement