<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

fsh 16 but normal estradiol - poor egg?

May 9 2016 at 9:19 PM
concernedNel  (Login concernedNel)

Hi,
I've had three pregnancies and subsequent births with little issue. Last date of conception, however, was nearly six years ago with a normal pregnancy, delivery and baby.

Cycles changed a few years ago - 26 days apart to the T. WE've been trying since January and there were two times where I do think now I was pregnant. I'm 38 years old and otherwise healthy.

Went to fertility doctor. Did a blood test Day 1 (I know, should have done day 2 or 3) fsh was 5. Next month on day 3, FSH was at 16. All other tests were normal.

Big question - if the estradiol was normal, ultrasound shows 7 eggs in one ovary, 8 in the other, is the fsh indicating only poor egg quality? I know fsh can show poor ovarian reserve and/or egg quality. But if other results are okay, does this mean the eggs are bad? I'm fearful to even try or take Clomid this month if the egg quality is poor.

I"m new to this....any help is welcome.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Houston
(no login)

Re: fsh 16 but normal estradiol - poor egg?

May 10 2016, 11:45 AM 

High FSH does not mean poor egg quality, chromosomally speaking anyway. The newer studies seem to indicate that the egg quality does not correspond with FSH. I would probably question the antral follicle count. I have been told time and time again that I had a good antral follicle count, just to learn it was lower (some techs don't seem to know what they should be counting). Of course, if that is a true antral follicle count, then maybe something else is going on.

I personally am not a fan of Clomid with a high FSH because I think it tends to lead to cysts.

Respond to this message   
concernedNel
(Login concernedNel)

May 10 2016, 9:51 PM 

Thank you Houston. I haven't seen any of those studies - just some other studies that show that it does support abnormal chromosomes.

I was shocked when my fsh was high and now that I think I've been pregnant at least once, I'm worried that my egg quality is poor and that the miscarriage was a result of something to that effect. Can you point me in the direction of some of those studies. With the fsh at 16, I'm worried that I should even try this month naturally.

Also, what would you recommend I take instead of Clomid. I almost took it this month to do the challenge test, but I read the cyst thing so I didn't.
Thank you.

Respond to this message   
Houston
(no login)

May 11 2016, 8:51 AM 

I don't know the exact studies--I was told about them by both my doctor at CCRM and my doctor at Cornell. Although, I feel very confident with the information they gave me. Actually, I am pretty sure my local doctor told me the same thing also b/c this was a big concern of mine.

Instead of Clomid, I would prefer a low dose protocol (estrogen priming/MDL plus 75 menopur per day was mine), but this is definitely more extreme and expensive than clomid.

I don't see any benefit at all of the Clomid Challenge test as you already know your FSH is high and you will require a protocol for poor responders.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login LED1215)

May 10 2016, 2:03 PM 

I had a similar situation.... during initial hormone testing everything came back within normal range. After one round of Clomid my FSH shot up to 15. It had been under 10 the previous month with normal E2. I too have a good antral follicle count... some things just don't make sense! What did your doctor say?

Did you have your AMH tested? My doctor cares more about that than FSH...

Respond to this message   
concernedNel
(Login concernedNel)

May 10 2016, 9:52 PM 

Hi,
She wanted me to do the clomid challenge test. I didn't b/c I was nervous about cysts with high fsh.
AMH was tested but I'm still waiting no those results.

Did you have any success with clomid? Thank you!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

May 12 2016, 8:08 AM 

I think that your AMH levels should give you some clarification hopefully. As I mentioned, my FSH was 15 during the cycle right after I took clomid, but my antral follicle could has always been between 12-19 and my AMH is 1.5. I also responded well to Clomid, which my doctor said is a good sign, but did not get pregnant. I did two cycles of Clomid/IUI and am now moving on to IVF. I'm just ready to get going and this is the most efficient way to do that.

According to my doctor, he does not feel I have diminished reserve, but time will tell. To your point about cysts, I was supposed to start IVF this month and had a darn cyst during my baseline appointment before I started stims. I'm not sure if it is related to clomid- from what I understand it's very normal and has no impact on future success, just an annoying delay!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement