<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

High FSH, confused...

May 15 2016 at 1:43 PM
Artemisia in UK  (no login)

Hi all, I got some FSH home testing kits and beat the threshold of 2525mIU/ml. So, a positive result. It was only a urine test so I don't have an accurate number but the result says it will be over 25. I'll re-test next month but I am aware although it fluctuates you really have to go with your highest reading.

This is a perimenopausal reading but I don't want to go to my doctor yet, I want to try to lower it in case he says I'm already finished and I never get a chance at IVF. I can't afford any private treatment or loan repayments but I may be able to afford a one-off payment to get some blood tests privately to get a more accurate result. It looks as though many of the methods for lowering FSH would be good for my overall health. That is as far as my thinking on the medical side goes. I'm so naive. As soon as I started googling about fertility problems I realised there is a whole world of stress and complexity.

I have been thinking I'd like children for a long time but only just started thinking seriously about it. I am with a BF that I love but we have no serious plans, we have only been together six months. Now I'm faced with the idea that I may never have the option of children. He said he was 'open to the idea' of children but only in the right financial situation, which we are not currently. He said 'if it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, it doesn't'. So he may be OK with it but I can't be sure. He is my confidante and I am so desperately sad and confused and want to talk to him about it but I am wondering whether that might not be smart. As I say it's a fairly new relationship but I'll be 37 next month and he is 41.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ree
(Login airly)

Re: High FSH, confused...

May 16 2016, 7:55 PM 

I would get the blood test done on day 3 of your cycle. I have no idea how accurate the urine test is but I think the blood test will be more accurate. Also have E2 and AMH tested as week. Once you get the results you'll have a much better idea where you stand and what your next move should be re; discussing with boyfriend.

Respond to this message   
Artemisia in UK
(no login)

Thank you for replying

May 17 2016, 6:50 AM 

Hi Ree, thank you so much for your reply. I called my GP and he was concerned. He booked me in for blood tests the same day and he testing my TSH, FSH, LH, Oestrogen and testosterone, not sure why. No mention of AMH or E2.

Also I already blurted it out to BF because he mentioned baby related things twice and I just couldn't take it! He confirmed that doesn't want children at the moment and says he wants to stay together regardless of the news. So it's good that he hasn't walked away from me but if I get any glimmer of hope from these results he will not be pursuing a pregnancy with me any time soon that seems for sure. He also says he doesn't know how he will feel in the future i.e. if he does decide he wants children in the future he may leave me. He also said he may leave me if his career means he will be away for long periods of time. We are honest with each other to a fault. I feel very lonely although he is is still here and has been supportive, he says he is upset but for me, not for himself. I'm glad that this isn't impacting on him, but it does seem as though we are only really friends after all. I love him wholeheartedly but the idea of loyalty is springing to mind and making me wonder whether I would be better off without him. I don't even know how I feel about him now. It's a double blow. I was hooping for a life partner and children. I'm just trying to get through each minute.

Respond to this message   
Ree
(Login airly)

:(

May 19 2016, 3:45 AM 

Were you taking the FSH test just to see, or do you have other symptoms also?

I don't know what to say about your boyfriend - it's really a tough situation. Perhaps wait and see what the doctors results are and go from there? I really hope you get better results from the blood test, let us know how you go

Respond to this message   
Artemisia in UK
(no login)

Re: :(

May 19 2016, 4:55 PM 

I took the test because I got lighter periods the last four months and I was worried. I also have a few more hairs on my chin although this may be normal for women my age.

Also I just wondered. Although rationally now is not a good time to get pregnant I think being with the BF was making me feel very broody and perhaps I was playing devil's advocate with myself. He seemed willing to take risks and maybe I thought he was secretly broody too and I wondered what could happen. A tension was building... this is all very strange to me as I've never been in a relationship as intense as this before.

Anyway after I took the test I noticed myself ovulating very early. Left hand side, day 5. So really not good. Since I got the blood work done in the same cycle I'm hoping if the blood work is better I can disregard the home test. But then there is the early ovulation. I have often been able to feel it and I'm pretty sure, but again I would need to get more tests to confirm it. Day 5 is hopeless as far as I've read and there is nothing I can do to elongate the follicular stage. I'm certainly regretting ever smoking. How stupid. I've been posting on the Fertility Friends in the UK as well and thinking about a holistic approach to my health. So that's the positive. As a wakeup call it's too late for my fertility (always the prob with FSH tests which is why Boots discontinued them) but I am making some positive changes whether or not I can have kids.

Thank you I will, I really appreciate it.

Respond to this message   
Ree
(no login)

Re: :(

August 18 2016, 9:02 PM 

Hi Artemisia, just wondering if you are still around and what the outcome of your blood tests was?

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement