<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Datograph Owners....

February 27 2005 at 2:15 AM
asg  (no login)

I was just wondering....did you ever go through a phase where you felt that many of the other watches in your collection didn't compare? Did you ever find yourelf wanting to wear your Datograph each and every day, without the need for variety?

For those of you who may have parted ways with yours, what were some of the reasons? Did you experience a similar infatuation after the first month, two, six...???

I am at a point with both my Langes where I find myself not reaching for any of my other watches in the morning. It's not that I don't like my other pieces, I just seem to only want to wear my Datograph....I have heard from some dealers and other collectors that when you attain a "dream" piece, it is normal to sell off some other pieces which fall out of favor. Any thoughts?

Well....just wanted to share that with all of you. Who knows...maybe tomorrow I'll strap a different watch on my wrist Until then, my "datosis" is still very apparent

Kind regards,

asg

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Evitzee
(Login Evitzee)
PP Discussion Group

Owned the Datograph ..... but not any longer ......

February 27 2005, 3:35 AM 

I owned the platinum Datograph for over 3 years. It has a great case and great movement. But after awhile the darkness of the black dial just got boring. And I never could get over the Roman numerals on a chrono dial. I sold it last year and took part of the proceeds and bought a Roger Dubuis MuchMore Monopusher chrono. A completely different style of watch to be sure, but it gives me a bigger smile when I strap it on. And I still have my VC Historiques Chrono which to me is a far more interesting watch to wear. It may not have the same complicated movement, but it is more wearable to my eyes, and more attractive. So for about the same price as the Datograph I have two completely different high end chronos with similar quality movement finishing. Both of these suit my taste better than the Datograph.

The Dato is great, make no mistake ..... but I don't think it is for everybody. It didn't fit me long term.

Two great chronos, but I prefer the VC:

And the RD is great chrono, too:

Respond to this message   
Larry
(Login larry4117)
PP Discussion Group

Nice choice of Roger Dubuis...

February 27 2005, 10:58 AM 

What do you think of the caliber of RD? I too chose a sympathie RD chrono perpetual in lieu of Patek 5970...

Let me know of your thoughts,

THanks in advance,

Larry

Respond to this message   
Evitzee
(Login Evitzee)
PP Discussion Group

Some thoughts .....

February 27 2005, 7:04 PM 

Although a bit off the Lange topic I'll share a few thoughts on the RD. The movement in your RD chrono perpetual is based on the Lemania movement used by PP and Breguet. RD calls it a RD5632. But the movement in the current monopusher is called an RD28. It looks similar to the Lemania based movement but is, in fact, thinner and smaller (10 3/4''' vs 12'''). RD claims the RD28 as an in-house creation, whatever that is worth. Both movements are very finely finished, at least looking at them through a loupe.

I've owned the RD for about 3 months now. In that time it has been extremely accurate (within +/- 1 sec/day on average) and the monopusher action is just about perfect with no jump or hesitation in the second hand.

Although it is completely different than the Datograph I enjoy it more. The RD is massive in weight, but sits comfortably on the wrist due to its curved design.

The Datograph is in a class by itself in many regards ... but there are some good options for those where the Dato just doesn't quite fit in.

Respond to this message   
Rob
(Login RobbG)
PP Discussion Group

Thanks for the pictures of the RD...

February 28 2005, 9:11 AM 

Hi Evitzee,

Thanks for the detailed report and pictures of the RD Monopusher. Am also contemplating the same piece even as I have the RG Dato. I tried it in WG version and agree with you that the curved back sits perfectly on one's wrist, at least on mine it does too. I think it is one of the unsung great chronos out there and am especially enamored with the monopusher style. Thanks again!

Respond to this message   
Edwin H. Heusinkveld
(no login)

Frank, although I dont have my Dato as long as you had....

February 27 2005, 5:40 PM 

yours, IF I would let go of it, I wouldnt mind buying the VC to replace it since that VC is such a nice watch. Completely different compared to the Dato but SOOOOOOO nice. I am not sure about the RD but I do admit that I have a softspot when monopushers are concerned.

Fantastic pictures btw.

Warm regards,

Edwin

Respond to this message   
Scribe
(Login Scribe-A)
AP Discussion Group

No, I didn't switch to another watch for a long, long time...

February 27 2005, 10:01 AM 

But that has to be considered in the context of my habit: I don't change watch very often once I have decided on the one to wear. However, it does usually require some effort for me to decide to switch. It was a long time ago, but I think I had the 5059 on when I changed it.

Then I acquired an after market piece (also black dial) which I liked so much I start with it and didn't give it up until I changed back to my annual calendar, which I am still wearing.

I like the Dato because of its Teutonic look, and it was different from what I had. And it is heavy. And very accurate. The funny thing, however, is that now that it is on a winder (and handwound daily), it is less accurate than some of the other watches that I found were not as accurate on my wrist.

Will I give up my other watches? I don't think so. I like the others, even though I don't wear them often. It's nice to have the others around. I am afraid I am one of those who can't survice on one watch. Yet.

Respond to this message   
warren41
(Login warren41)

depends on what you have

February 27 2005, 1:44 PM 

i used to wear my datograph a tremendous amount a few months back i aquired a de bethune db 12 chronograph great dial and you can view movt from the back now i wear this more than the datograph.

Respond to this message   
Edwin H. Heusinkveld
(no login)

I am wearing the Dato often...

February 27 2005, 5:36 PM 

and must confess that I am wearing it more frequent then my Lange-1 currently.

My collection doesnt consist of as many nice pieces as yours does, but I did consider selling them. One Ebel, a LeModulor, I have, was the first (real?) mechanical watch I owned so, although I dont wear it anymore (except during the holidays at the beach), I cannot let it go for sentimental reasons. Another Ebel, a Perpetual Chrono, is now at the manufaktur in Switzerland to make it factory fresh again and I might sell it when I receive it back... but I am not sure since it was my dream watch for years and years.

I do have 2 Lemania's (thanks _john/Robert/Jay) which I love, but that don't get much wrist time; but I really like looking at them and wind them every night as part as a ritual(sp?). I am not letting them go.

So I dont have a lot of watches that I would sell but if my collection did consist of more pieces I certainly would consider selling some, or most, of them and just keep the pieces that are special to me (not nessacarily(sp?) because of the horological importance of the watches but more for sentimental reasons).

But, there is one (other) aspect that interests me related to your post, a little extreme perhaps, and that is what happens if you sell, say, all your non Lange watches? Will the love for the Dato keep you from buying another watch, Lange or other make?

Lately I find myself hesitating IF I should buy another watch (you know I love the RG Lange-1 Moonphase) since my wrist(s) are spoken for (yes both; you can frequently see me wearing both my Lange's).

And more extreme: will your love for the Dato make you sell the Lange-1 moon?

Regards,

Edwin

btw, asg, did you receive my (last) e-mail; I tried sending it to your nhsusa.com account but it bounced. I send another copy to your aol account.

Respond to this message   
asg
(no login)

Edwin..Everyone....

February 27 2005, 6:37 PM 

Thank you for your most candid responses. Edwin, I will check my AOL account shortly...I get too much spam there and dont really use it at all...

While on this cold, beautiful day, I choose to wear my LAnge 1 Moon and put the dato to rest, in the closet, in it's box to see how long I can go without it....wearing different pieces.

I don't think that owing the Datograph for me, will prevent me from buying/owing other watches Lange and non-Lange. What it boils down to is maybe my need for so much variety has calmed, and that with owning the Dato, maybe consolidate into, what I may consider to be more superior pieces.

While the watches I am speaking about are top quality and very fine watches, none of them speak to me like the Dato, and never have.

Evitzee - I want to thank you for posting your pic of your VC and Dato together. I was just out for dinner with some friends and at the table I asked him to take his VC chrono off so I could view the movements of my watch and his side by side. What a sight! I personally also like the Monopusher RD as well. I looked at watches with the Lemania movement and just felt more connected to the dial and movement of the Lange. Maybe it's my youth

Maybe it's time to consolidate to own 5 - 7 watches and not 14? Quality not qualtity right? Well I think that buying the Dato for me put into perspective a whole new world of horology and quality to look for in watches.

Thanks again!

asg

Respond to this message   
Evitzee
(Login Evitzee)
PP Discussion Group

Pic of the Dato and VC from the back >>>>

February 27 2005, 7:12 PM 

This pretty much sums it up ..... both fantastically finished. The VC presents a brighter view because of the material used for construction and because it doesn't have a coated sapphire back.

Respond to this message   
Scribe
(no login)

Consolidation? If only it were that easy. Admit it, you'll never have enough...

February 27 2005, 8:31 PM 

If you need a Lange 1 moon on cold days, you'll need the Dato for hot days, and a chrono for ball games, and a perpetual for special evenings, and the list will go on. And yes, there are also those pieces that are horologically interesting, and the first serious watch.

Soon we'll be picking daisies and doing what teenagers do with them.

And don't forget the cost of consolidation...

If selling won't stop you from buying (and I am not about to test this myself), I'd be hestitant.

Respond to this message   
Kurt
(Login kurt48)

With me.............

February 27 2005, 11:35 PM 

it's about the character of the Watch. I have my DS on today bu yesterday I wore my Campanola Grand Comp. Both fabulous Watches with distinct character. The Watches I seem to keep are all like that regardless of cost.

I believe it was the Beatles that said 'money can't buy me love" well it can't necessarily buy you the perfect watch either. It can give you the means but you have to apply the focus and appreciation.

All the Best

Kurt

Respond to this message   
JR64
(no login)

I think that the datograph, the ...

March 2 2005, 1:45 AM 

Red Gold and the Platinum are very, very fine watches!
They can be used to go to the OSCAR's party or to simply walk on the street.
I have the RG and LOVE it!
Cheers!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page