<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

L1MP vs Richard Lange vs PP 5712G

November 24 2006 at 7:38 AM
Dennis Yeow  (Login Bluekutus)

Could you guys give some opinion on this watches. I can only afford one of this watches.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

alex
(Login argg)
Industry Chat

it all depends on the state of you collection and your tastes. These 3 watches are

November 24 2006, 11:29 AM 

sooo different

Respond to this message   
Dennis Yeow
(Login Bluekutus)

Thanks Alex, I understand..

November 25 2006, 7:10 AM 

However I have the least exposure with PP. I have never liked the Nautilus in its simple state, however, when the complication of power reserve and the moon phase was included in the dial...it is very arresting.

But, I have also seen Richard Lange and am blown away with its simple dial and beautiful finish. The calibre is awesome. The rose gold case and hands, blue second hands, the simple dial with roman numerals is, how to say "gel together".

Therefore, I am at a quadrant to decide which to choose and that will give me the right push to go over the edge and make the right decision. So, that is why I am here seeking opinions and feedback to enable me to make that decision.

I have come to understand that choosing a right watch is a kinder personal choice, but without the right knowledge, a wrong choice can be made. I value a watch more for its intrinsic value like calibre quality and finish, case quality and dial and also complication. Also, how the whole watch is put together and its design. How the whole thing "gels together".

regards
dennis

Respond to this message   
mostel
(Login dartanian)
PP Discussion Group

I'll say...

November 26 2006, 12:28 AM 

the first things that come to mind when I consider those 3 watches (assuming you mean 5127?) is: none have good resale. Sorry, after selling so many off, I am now conditioned to think this way! And we collectors do tend to go through watches. I would try very hard to get any of these 3, used. Okay, for luscious intoxicating beauty, I'd go Lange moon hands down. For pure timeless elegance, Patek. I'm not a fan of the Lange RL, and I personally don't see it being 'important' any time soon. The L1 moon is an established classic, so is the Patek. I think the L1 moon 'novelty' may wear off eventually-- the L1 design in general being 'odd' even if it is 'grounbreaking' and a classic. Whereas the Patek classicism will never fade. In terms of technical excellence, you will no doubt find the L1 movement vastly more 'impressive' to the eye, but I don't know if that matters in the long run. There's only one problem--if you can call it that--getting the 5127. It's 'entry level'. You have to really want it for it's own sake, as opposed to the idea that it is 'a Patek'. Because you will quickly realize that in the world of Patek, a 5127 is 'not important' and not rare at all, and all that 'nonsense' which may or may not bug you. I say this because, we tend to buy Pateks for the prestige and mental thrill--we do this with other brands too, but not quite as much. I will say, I love the 5127 and think it is a beautiful timeless watch, but I would--given these choices--go L1 moon.

Respond to this message   
matthew
(Login goslowboy)
AP Discussion Group

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the 5712

November 26 2006, 1:02 AM 

as he described it as a Nautilus.

I'm not a huge fan of most nautilus either but the 5712 is very cool. personally i would not mind have all three as they fit very different roles in a collection

Respond to this message   
Dennis Yeow
(Login Bluekutus)

Thanks Matthew.....

November 26 2006, 9:00 AM 

Yes I am asking about the 5712. Congrats on your 5712.....Looks good.

Respond to this message   
Dennis Yeow
(Login Bluekutus)

Thanks for the input......

November 26 2006, 8:57 AM 

I will keep that in thought when I finally decide what to get. I am asking about the 5712. Thanks.

Respond to this message   
mostel
(Login dartanian)
PP Discussion Group

I don't know why I thought 5127--if it's 5712...

November 26 2006, 2:57 PM 

I would without any argument, buy the Patek. While the others are nice...

Respond to this message   

Joachim
(Login asTimesGoBy)

taste, brand and complications...

November 26 2006, 9:27 AM 

personally, I have choosen the L1MP over the PP because the Moonphase is not obstructed by the date pointer. The L1MP has a big date which is much easier to read compared to the pointer date. I own a UNION pointer date as well and since I have the L1MP my UNION rarly gets on my wrist
The RL is a very different watch. I is worth the money but I just dont like a trunkated index or number on the dial...
For my next watch I would opt for the IWC Portugieser PC II.

Let the watch speak to you!
Good luck with your decision.

Respond to this message   
Dennis Yeow
(Login Bluekutus)

Thanks Joachim for your thoughts. nt

November 27 2006, 10:07 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page