<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Datograph vs Double Split

December 2 2006 at 8:45 AM
Tim  (Login timabz)
PP Discussion Group

Any views out there on the platinum Datograph versus the Double Split? Have had them both on the wrist (though briefly) - liked them both a lot, but some say the double split is too bulky in daily use and too expensive. Any user feedback? Also any info on approx numbers built so far gratefully received...

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Edwin H. Heusinkveld
(Login EdHe)
PP Discussion Group

The dial of the Datograph is better balanced ....

December 2 2006, 2:41 PM 

IMO!! The Outsize date on the Datograph balances the two Argenté subdials. There exists however a Sincere LE DoubleSplit with an all black dial (in RG and in PT) which must be incredible

I think the DoubleSplit is among the nicest toys you can purchase today. It is a massive watch and very expensive but if I could afford it I would purchase it immediately (the PT SIncere LE if still available)

If wearability is a concern, get the Dato instead as it wears very comfortable.

Edwin

Respond to this message   

ercinho
(Login ercinho)
AP Discussion Group

i've worn both

December 2 2006, 3:31 PM 

i'm a fan of both the datograph and the double split and have worn both.

if you're comfortable wearing oversized sports watches (think AP ROO or roger dubuis easy divers or panerai), then you shouldn't have a problem with the size of a DS. (the increased weight may prove to be more of a consideration, however.)

i love the datograph and wore it on a daily basis for quite some time... but i personally find the diameter of 39mm to be a bit small, esp. in proportion to the height.

the cost difference between the datograph and the DS does seem quite significant, however... granted, the datograph price in my head is circa 2003 while the DS price in my head is circa 2006, so perhaps the gradual price increases in between have 'evened' things out a bit.

-eric

Respond to this message   

NickO
(Login njo2002)
AP Discussion Group

A frustrating question...

December 2 2006, 10:11 PM 

.. for me, at least, as both watches are one step away from perfection in my book. As someone who finds an IWC Big Pilot to be the perfect everyday watch, the 39mm Data just feels small. I have tried to fight this feeling for 6 years, because I'd love to go for a Dato, but it is what it is. The DS, on the other hand, feels perfect on my wrist - but I always felt something was missing. I think I've finally worked it out - I'm not a fan of the bridge over the balance, as you can no longer see the "heart" of the watch. And it is also, frankly, out of my price range.

So - that leaves me desparely wanting a 42mm Datograph!! I think it would actually improve the balance of the watch, which IMO is a tad thick at its current 39mm. I am sure I am in the minority here, but you can always hope...

Best regards,

NickO

Respond to this message   
Edwin H. Heusinkveld
(Login EdHe)
PP Discussion Group

You are correct ...

December 3 2006, 7:47 AM 

I do too dislike the 2nd column wheel being positioned over the new inhouse balance (and spring) but I think I can live with that

Edwin

Respond to this message   
hattip
(no login)

the best execution is the datograph perpetual

December 3 2006, 3:27 PM 

Nice size and form factor, awesome movement with exposed balance. Like the story of the three bears...not too big, not too small, just right...

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page