Return to Index  

Your break in period.....

February 3 2004 at 8:14 AM
No score for this post

(Premier Login FEfinaticP)
Posters
from IP address 66.89.75.42

Response to That's a good notion, Kimosabe!

.....you're going to have to get comfy with the break-in of the rings, etc. based on how the car runs and how it fares with a compression leakdown, etc. One thing about the synthetic products, you get what you pay for, and the film strength of an engineered space-age product sure beats what they pump out of the dirt.

I made the switch to synthetic in my twin 427 marine setup a few years ago and the motors seem to love it. I don't run them particularly hard, but I appreciate the cold flow characteristics and additional protection I get on start-up, and I also REALLY feel better about the added protection I have in the event I do want to show the boys how those big dogs can bark. There's nothing like seeing six of your best friends on the aft deck (aft deck is an open 15' x 12' on this express cruiser) all holding a beer, some with cigars, all grinning, looking back at all that white water those big motors are churning with 24" props and 2.5:1 gear reduction, and hearing the howl from those big copper pipes. When the time comes to do the deed, I know I have one of the best synthetic oils on the market (Mobil-1 15W50 in this instance) in the motors, and I just put the hammer down and run em at 4,000 rpm for a while. On a marine application in a 20,000 pound cruiser, that's pretty awesome because I can approach speeds of 32 to 34-mph even with six guys on board. I may switch to Amsoil next season, as I do think they make a better product.

regards, P

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on CarsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement