Return to Index  

here's some more on the old gal

July 6 2004 at 7:06 PM
No score for this post
Curt Boirum  (Login cboirum)
Posters
from IP address 12.221.36.107

Response to looking to fix my old gal

Thanks alot Theo and P for the comments!
I couldn't find a pertronix ignition module in town (Peoria, IL) but I did pick up a crane fireball is that pretty much the same quality? (I haven't installed it yet)
I did a compression test on the engine and all cylinders were so close to the same i couldn't notice a difference (150 psi that's about 10.1 to 1 isn't it?)

I have dropped quite a bit of money (for a poor kid like me) and alot of hard hours into this car and i think there's some decent driving hiding inside of her but i just haven't been able to sort out the problems. (that no doubtedly I caused myself!) but anyways, here's the main list of engine problems that i've come up with for you guys to ponder over

1. It percolates whever it gets hot and floods
2. It takes about 10 minutes to get warmed up and run half-assed
3. Even when warmed up theres a miss and very low performance
4. terrible gas mileage
5. Upper end oiling problem, the rocker shaft has clearence worn between it and the rockers (most notobly those on the ends away from the oiling bolt) and the upper end makes a terrible amount of noise (I'm taking the pan off as soon as possible and plastigaging the rods)

I'm not driving it right now and won't until i figure out what's going on with the oiling.

Sorry for righting a book but you guys are an increadible help for someone like me who's really out on his own!
thanks again, Curt

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on CarsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement