Return to Index  

390 valvetrain noise

June 2 2011 at 6:27 PM
No score for this post
Mark  (Login mr.galaxie)
Posters
from IP address 24.3.241.219

I'm hoping someone out there can help me with a problem I'm having. I rebuilt a 390 for my galaxie and it has a valvetrain noise I can't figure out. It's a .040 390 with edelbrock heads, harland sharp roller rockers, edelbrock performer rpm cam, and intake. I fired it up, broke in the cam, and finished tuning it and heard a noise that I thought sounded like lifter noise so I readjusted them and it sounded the same. The adjusting screws on the rockers have one thread showing past the bottom of the rocker arm which is where they should be, it's got 30psi oil pressure hot and runs perfect. I wasn't fond of the edelbrock's retainer design for the lifter plunger and had one come apart on initial assembly so I changed to a set of comp lifters and it sounds the same. When cold it is barely noticeable when warm it's very noticeable at all rpm but loudest between 1500-2500. I had these heads on the previous engine in the car and was starting to get a noise similar to what I have now, but the cam was going away and figured that was my noise. I'm not saying that the heads are the source of the noise but I am not ruling anything out. The heads are the only thing from the old engine that are on the new one. I don't think it's in the cam or lifters but I can't figure out what it is. The contact pattern of the roller tip on the rocker to the valve tip wasn't quite where I thought it should be but since the shafts are mounted on the stands it's really not adjustable unless you shim the stands which actually looks like it would correct it some. Anyways I'm tired of typing and hope someone out there can bail me out.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on CarsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement