Return to Index  

scj 428 overheating

January 11 2015 at 11:43 PM
No score for this post
dusty pinkerton  (Login scjconv)
Posters
from IP address 75.142.199.236

I can really use some help with this one. I'm the original owner of a 1970 Mustang convertible powered by a super cobra jet 428.. I have always had low speed overheating, for example in parades and long traffic jams, but I now have an additional problem.
While using a LED temp probe I found my engine has 7 cylinders with about 350-375 degrees exhaust port temps, but the back one on the passenger is reading between 850-900 degrees. This is at about 900 RPMS. and I caannot find out why?
The engine has been gone through and has TRW forged aluminum pistons that are dished 28 CCs to lower the compression to a nominal 9.5-1. Using Edelbrock aluminum heads and waterpump, a 67 Ford 428 HP aluminum intake (This is the one Ford used to later mold the 428 cast iron one) MSD ignition, and the cam is a Comp 270-290, also using an aluminum radiator.
I have checked everything I can imagine, compression is steady at 155 in all cylinders, the cam lift has been checked with dial indictor and is OK.
I think the problem may be in the exhaust manifold only, but any suggestions are gladly excepted.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on CarsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement