Return to Index  

Engine Rebuild shop Woes

January 13 2017 at 7:34 AM
No score for this post
Steve Gillespie  (Login stevegintn)
Posters
from IP address 69.195.19.155

I am new to this group, and my friends on the VTCI forum said ya'll would be a great help.

Here's my situation.

I bought a '62 TBird about a year ago, that sat in a warehouse for 10 years, had NOT been run but would turn over and was a complete car.

So I started going through it - over a year later and countless hours and a couple thousand dollars in parts, my Tbird was running and stopping.

However, it had a bad exhaust manifold leak, that I thought I could fix myself - yep, 2 of 4 upper bolts snapped off. Only recourse was to pull engine, and if pulling engine, may as well get the old 390 rebuilt.

So, I found what I thought was an ethical, reliable local shop, that quoted me a fair turnkey price.

That was three and a half months ago.

The owner told me last week that the engine had been back from machining a month ago, but they had not started reassembly. He could NOT give me a completion date. So I gave him one - January 30.

Am I being unreasonable? - should I give him 'as much time as it takes'?

I don't want a 'rush job', but I did not realize that the shop was like a taxidermist - they put your deer head (engine) in the freezer for 6 months (or longer), then take it out when they have time to do the work.

When I pushed him, the owner did offer for me to just come get it (but I don't want to bring it home, with disassembled engine in trunk).

Appreciate any advice!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Re: Engine Rebuild shop Woes - Charles Logsdon on Jan 15, 2017
    • Engine Rebuild Shop Woes - Steve Gillespie on Jan 15, 2017

Find more forums on CarsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement