<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New member with a FE block question.

February 13 2004 at 10:31 AM
No score for this post
Dan  (Login avanti-r2)
Posters
from IP address 129.44.213.220

Hi guys,
Just bought a block and was told it is a 428cj but all the tell tale signs are not there (that is what I get for trusting my fellow man over the phone) Here is what it does have....
Casting #- c7me-a

no "c" or "a" scratched into the back casting

Date code- 7J26

on the casting boss flat spot on the passenger side rear there is a stamped C.

on the casting boss flat spot on the passenger side front there is a stamped A.

on the casting boss flat spot on the drivers sid front above the oil filter boss there is a stamped #7F29V.

There are only 2 main web reinforcing ribs.

..that is it, anyone decipher it for me? I only seem to be able to come up with alot of conflicting info.

Thanks for any help,
Dan

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

hawkrod
(Login hawkrod)
Posters

let me be the first to offend, um er, welcome you!!

No score for this post
February 13 2004, 6:57 PM 

hate to start things off on a bad note but the date code you gave really makes that too early for a CJ. all of the early CJ blocks seem to have the big C on the back and the reinforced ribsand there are very very few blocks cast before 12/67. the early blocks do have the C7ME casting number but so do standard 428 blocks. since the block does not have a C or an A on teh back i would be suspicious and get it sonic tested to make sure you didn't buy a 390 that has been bored well beyond its limits. unfortunately it used to be common and they turn up all too often. hawkrod

Hawkrod

39 Ford Deluxe Coupe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln Premier
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 Ford F250 4X4 w/460 swap
86 SVO mustang

look at my cars past and present at superford!

Dan
(Login avanti-r2)
Posters

Not easily offended...

No score for this post
February 19 2004, 1:24 PM 

thanks for the reply Hawkrod I was pretty sure it wasn't a CJ but the guy contends that it is and says that I should do my homework.I just wanted some more opinions before I tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about. It is a nice block though and I did have it sonic checked and it is fine, so it is still a good deal just not as good a deal as I thought.
By the way is HAWKROD an allusion to a Studebaker Hawk? I am a stude guy and have had a few,
-'34 dictator that was going to be a Rod but got rid of because of too many other projects and decided it should be somewhere that it would not be neglected.
- '62 gran turismo that I put a 401 buick in.
-'63 superlark R1(wish I still had this one,what a sleeper,there is a whole bunch of Corvettes and Camaros around here that still don't know what hit them)
-Currently have an AVANTI that I am playing with.
anyway sorry for rambleing and thanks again for the reply.
Dan

hawkrod
(Login hawkrod)
Posters

yes, the guys in the SDC....

No score for this post
February 22 2004, 9:41 AM 

the studebaker drivers club hung the name on my 59 silver hawk with an orange engine 5 speed EFI 9 inch 4 wheel disc brakes etc... hawkrod

Hawkrod

39 Ford Deluxe Coupe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln Premier
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 Ford F250 4X4 w/460 swap
86 SVO mustang

look at my cars past and present at superford!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on CarsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement