<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hi Everyone! 390 Project blast from the past :)

September 1 2012 at 11:28 AM
No score for this post
Curt Boirum  (Login cboirum)
Posters
from IP address 98.214.68.126

Hi everyone! It's been almost a decade since I posted on this forum. I don't know if anybody is around who helped me back then but it was a great experienced and I owe a huge debt of gratitude to those who gave me advice - I was 18 years old, just graduated high school in Peoria, IL, had a front end damaged 1968 Galaxie 500 with a 390 that needed rebuilt, no experience, and no one at all to help me.

Long story short - with the help of this forum I rebuilt the engine in my (widowed) mom's shed, rebuilt the entire front suspension, poured my own small concrete slab so I could safely lower the engine in the car in the back yard, and drove the car to college.

I drove the car for several years but there was a problem with the 390's oil system and it blew a lifter, after sitting for a while in my mom's back yard (and with no money) I wasn't able to keep or fix the car sad.gif, but I pulled the entire drivetrain (except the rear end) and kept it all these years.

I'm now a mechanical engineer and expecting my first child in February. I drive an old f150 right now and will need something with a rear seat for haulin' kids around safely so I need to get a "new" car. I'm seriously considering rebuilding the 390 and putting it into something. Any thoughts? I'd love to find a 60's full size ford to put the drivetrain in (especially if it's a drop in) I don't have a lot space (just a small one stall garage) so I'd like to find a body that requires minimal work and just needs a good engine & trans.

I know the perfect car body is out there somewhere just waiting for somebody to put an engine in it - so if you know anything or have any suggestions or think I'm crazy please let me know happy.gif.

I'd also be interested in any FE parts you might have - my block is in good shape (a little rust in the cylinder bores but I think I can take care of it with some honing.) My crank didn't fare as well and has some thicker rust on it so I might be interested in throwing some newer/better stuff in there. Maybe an AL 4 brl intake, who knows happy.gif. I don't have a huge budget for the project, but I figure if I can get a decent daily driver together for around $4,000 (nothing crazy, just reliable and comfy) than that beats buying some 2000 - something used car.

Besides - I feel like I owe it to that old 390 to put it to good use after all these years happy.gif.

Look forward to hearing from anybody on hear!
And thanks again to those who helped me back in the day.

Curtis Boirum

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on CarsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement