<< Previous TopicReturn to Index  

Engine Rebuild shop Woes

January 13 2017 at 7:34 AM
No score for this post
Steve Gillespie  (Login stevegintn)
Posters
from IP address 69.195.19.155

I am new to this group, and my friends on the VTCI forum said ya'll would be a great help.

Here's my situation.

I bought a '62 TBird about a year ago, that sat in a warehouse for 10 years, had NOT been run but would turn over and was a complete car.

So I started going through it - over a year later and countless hours and a couple thousand dollars in parts, my Tbird was running and stopping.

However, it had a bad exhaust manifold leak, that I thought I could fix myself - yep, 2 of 4 upper bolts snapped off. Only recourse was to pull engine, and if pulling engine, may as well get the old 390 rebuilt.

So, I found what I thought was an ethical, reliable local shop, that quoted me a fair turnkey price.

That was three and a half months ago.

The owner told me last week that the engine had been back from machining a month ago, but they had not started reassembly. He could NOT give me a completion date. So I gave him one - January 30.

Am I being unreasonable? - should I give him 'as much time as it takes'?

I don't want a 'rush job', but I did not realize that the shop was like a taxidermist - they put your deer head (engine) in the freezer for 6 months (or longer), then take it out when they have time to do the work.

When I pushed him, the owner did offer for me to just come get it (but I don't want to bring it home, with disassembled engine in trunk).

Appreciate any advice!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Charles Logsdon
(Login 57fairlane428)
Posters

Re: Engine Rebuild shop Woes

No score for this post
January 15 2017, 1:25 PM 

Try this forum. No one uses this one anymore. We all moved.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182

Some shops are like that. You could assemble it yourself and just pay the guy for machine work. Or find another shop to finish. I had a similar situation waiting 2 months for machine work. When I talked to the owner he was unaware. Finished everything in 2 days and I took it home and started building.

Steve Gillespie
(Login stevegintn)
Posters

Engine Rebuild Shop Woes

No score for this post
January 15 2017, 6:24 PM 

Thanks, Charles - I have done that

<< Previous TopicReturn to Index  
Find more forums on CarsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement