Help, Suggestions & Complaints

WAFF Debates Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Royal Australian Navy Skyhawk On a Submarine

April 4 2004 at 6:35 PM
No score for this post

Anonymous  (Login kronicFever)
Satyameva Jayate (India)

The Royal Australian Navy Skyhawk, being an all-purpose aircraft, was the subject of a 1970s experimental sea trial of an A-4 on board a Royal Australian Navy submarine. There was no objection from the aviators to operating the Skyhawk from the somewhat limited deck space of the submarine. A problem with the Skyhawk's turbine cavitating while underway submerged was overcome. The diesel catapult worked just fine. However, the experiment was abandoned when the submarine's XO objected to the jet blast burning the paintwork off the sail.
Photograph courtesy of the Australian Naval Aircraft Museum: Mark Clayton, Director;, Windy Geale, Curator

http://www.skyhawk.org/

R.K. Laxman, India's renowned cartoonist, honours the hardy & humble Indian Jawan

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Gab
(Login GabRaz)
Elite WAFF Vet Club

Re: Royal Australian Navy Skyhawk On a Submarine

No score for this post
April 4 2004, 6:37 PM 

This calls for a:

WTF?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Anonymous
(Login Brokenhalo67)

No score for this post
April 4 2004, 6:46 PM 

This calls for a:

WTF?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Same here......so whats exactly whats the point of this,

as it really says of none......sounds like someone jumped on the idea after a few to many beers.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bello vel Pace Paratus

Pax Extreme
(Login pax_europa)

No score for this post
April 4 2004, 6:48 PM 

Nice signature, Broken. An eagle acutally flew over my house yesterday, but obviously not that species. I think it was a golden eagle...

Gab
(Login GabRaz)
Elite WAFF Vet Club

No score for this post
April 4 2004, 6:50 PM 

Weren't there Japanese subs during WWII that had a seaplane they would remove and assemble while on the surface? They would have a watertight hanger, and the planes wings would be folded at the roots. That way they would have long range reconaissance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gab
(Login GabRaz)
Elite WAFF Vet Club

No score for this post
April 4 2004, 7:07 PM 

If I'm not mistaken it was a: Aichi M6A-1 "Seiran"

Gab
(Login GabRaz)
Elite WAFF Vet Club

No score for this post
April 4 2004, 7:10 PM 

"Aichi chief engineer, Toshio Ozaki, designed the M6A1 Seiran to fulfill the requirement for a bomber that could operate exclusively from a submarine. Japanese war planners devised the idea as a means for striking directly at the United States mainland and other important strategic targets that lay thousands of kilometers from Japan. To support Seiran operations, the Japanese developed a fleet of submarine aircraft carriers to bring the aircraft within striking distance. No Seiran ever saw combat but the Seiran/submarine weapons system represents an ingenious blend of aviation and marine technology.

Japan was already operating reconnaissance aircraft from submarines before the United States entered World War II. One of these airplanes actually bombed American soil. On September 9, 1942, a Yokosuka E14Y1 GLEN (Allied codename) reconnaissance floatplane launched by catapult from the submarine I-25 and dropped four improvised phosphorus bombs into a forest on the Oregon coast. Five months earlier, the Japanese Navy issued orders to build a new series of submarine aircraft carriers called the I-400 class. Navy planners envisioned a large fleet but eventually only three were completed: I-400 thru I-402. The five ships in this class were the largest submarines ever built until the USS Lafayette sailed in 1962. An I-400 boat displaced 5,970 metric tons (6,560 tons) submerged and it cruised at 18.7 knots surfaced. These ships could travel 60,000 km (43,000 mi) carrying three Seirans in waterproof compartments. A class of smaller Japanese submarines called the AM class was also modified to carry two Seirans."

Gab
(Login GabRaz)
Elite WAFF Vet Club

No score for this post
April 4 2004, 7:13 PM 

Anonymous
(Login Brokenhalo67)

No score for this post
April 4 2004, 7:54 PM 

Nice signature, Broken. An eagle acutally flew over my house yesterday, but obviously not that species. I think it was a golden eagle...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, to be honest I would not be able to tell you what a Golden Eagle looks like, Bald Eagles for that matter are becoming more common, saw a few this summer up on the peninsula in upper Michigan, if your by a lake / river or what not you'll see one pass at times if your lucky.....

Bello vel Pace Paratus

Fool
(Login meemperor)
Elite WAFF Vet Club

No score for this post
April 4 2004, 8:11 PM 

About the sig, A bald eagle stole the pike I had on my fishing line about 12 yards away from me, most awesome site ever.

"deeds, not words"

Anonymous
(Login SargeAUS)

No score for this post
April 4 2004, 11:37 PM 

Aaah, just in case you didn't realise, that picture is photoshopped. It has been seen before. Still looks cool though.

Pax Extreme
(Login pax_europa)

No score for this post
April 5 2004, 9:24 AM 

>> Yes, to be honest I would not be able to tell you what a Golden Eagle looks like... <<

Me neither, but I looked it up afterwards and of the two species we have in Norway it had to be the golden eagle. It was huge...

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
WAFF recommends these sites

Indian Defence Analysis      [Definitive Lapse of Reason]