Help, Suggestions & Complaints

WAFF Debates Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The 10 Reasons The F-35 Lighting Fighter Will Dominate 21st Century Skies

December 23 2011 at 12:37 AM
No score for this post
  (Login ELWAPO)
Eagle Squadron (US)

The F-35 is set to become the dominant fighter plane of the U.S. and its allies in the 21st century.

A conglomerate of aerospace industry leaders (Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, BAE Systems and Pratt & Whitney) have combined manufacturing, engineering and technological capabilities to develop the F-35 Lightning.

While the Joint Strike Fighter program has been incredibly expensive, here is a look at the final product and 10 reasons why it is a true fifth generation multi-role air superiority fighter.

1) Mission Flexibility

The Basic F-35 design is multi-role, but in addition, there are three variants that add mission specific capabilities. The three models are CTOL: conventional takeoff and landing, STOVL: short takeoff vertical landing, CATOBAR: catapult Assisted Take Off Barrier Arrested Recover (aircraft carrier launched).

As Lockheed Martin writes, attack any target, any time, with the freedom to operate anywhere on Day One of a conflict. By integrating different capabilities, the fighter brings a quantum leap in lethality and survivability.

[linked image]

2) Travel In Packs

The Air Force will buy 1,763 conventional models and the Navy will take 680 short takeoff and carrier models, according to Business Insider. So the U.S. can put a lot of these hyper-advanced planes in the sky at one time.

[linked image]

3) Silent But Deadly (huhuh!)

With embedded antennas, aligned edges, internal weapons and fuel, and special coatings and materials, the F-35 uses stealth to pick and choose engagements without getting pinged by enemy defense systems.

[linked image]

4) All Our Friends Want Them

Britain, Canada, Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, Turkey, Italy, and Austria will contribute $4.8 billion apiece to development and intend to purchase 700 aircraft. Other interested countries include Singapore, South Korea, Finland, Spain, Greece, and Belgium, and Israel.

[linked image]

5) Packs a Punch

The F-35 can handle up to 18,000 lbs of ordnance, which means plenty of missiles, bombs, and other kinetic tools to use agains the enemy.

[linked image]

6) Can See The Bad Guys Coming

The F-35 features the most powerful and comprehensive integrated sensor package of any fighter aircraft in history.

[linked image]

7) They Call it Lightning II For a Reason

The F-35 can go a blazing mach 1.6 and has a range of 1200 nautical miles. Its named after the World War II twin-prop Lockheed P-38 Lightning.

[linked image]

8) Relatively Cheap to Maintain

To keep the F-35 up in the sky and flying will cost about half the amount of older fighter planes, according to Lockheed officials.

[linked image]

9) But No Expense Spared in Development

With Research and development costs included, the total cost of each F-35 will be about $300 million.

[linked image]

10) Uncle Sam Wants To Get His Moneys Worth

The Pentagon says over the next 50-years the F-35 program will cost about a $trillion dollars. Yikes.

[linked image]

They are going to continue to hammer out kinks and try minor tweaks of the design until at least 2018.

Sorry Blaze readers, no civilian versions yet available.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/the-10-reasons-the-f-35-lightning-fighter-will-dominate-21st-century-skies/

Even though its customers live in the imagination of its derange fanboys... RAFAEL IS BETTER!!!! [linked image]

----------------
[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
orao serbia
(Login orao)
Hellenic Hoplites (Greece)

Re: The 10 Reasons The F-35 Lighting Fighter Will Dominate 21st Century Skies

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 8:50 AM 

hmm from 50 to 300 million per unit. I wonder who will pick the money?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

(Login IlgarD)
Moderators

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 9:04 AM 

"7) They Call it Lightning II For a Reason

The F-35 can go a blazing mach 1.6 and has a range of 1200 nautical miles. Its named after the World War II twin-prop Lockheed P-38 Lightning. "

I think author shat himself when he wrote that part. Really ? mach 1.6 ? Even crappy pakistan-chinese aircraft can reach 1.8 .and multiroles like f-16 and f-18 ( Which this plane is produced to replace ) can reach mach 2 . F15 to 2 and half so Blackbird even doubles f-35's top speed . Not even counting Russians . You know MIG-31 can reach mach 2.8 without trashing the engine which in this case 3.3.

Apart from that , the good point of f-35 is that it's stealth feature , which can reach that speed with internal load without breaking stealth.

-----------------------------------------------

He's the man !

[linked image]

Eric
(Login Nighthawk00)
Eagle Squadron (US)

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 11:16 AM 

Wrong Ilgard, the F-35 was designed to reach Mach 1.6 with a full internal load (4 to 6 AMRAAMs in A2A for example) while even the mighty Eagle will not reach that speed with a similar load. That's the beauty of the F-35.

crossroadsbakerexplosio.jpg

An unavoidable war is called justice.
When brutality is the only option left,
it is holy.
Machiavelli - The Prince 1513.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

I'm not American, I'm from Flanders.

(Login Justin177)
Honorary Administrator

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 12:32 PM 

That's right. 6 amraams 120Ds internally. -http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3a4f04259d-8fca-4e42-8e17-44f5dca7edf4

[linked image]

Lockheed even mentioned up to 8 Amaraam 120Ds as I recalled. Probably a little like this fan inspired configuration (i think):

[linked image]

(Login Justin177)
Honorary Administrator

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 12:42 PM 

In addition to the 6 AAMs internally, the F35 can always carry stealthy weapons pods with even more weapons happy.gif

[linked image]

The transparency that comes with the F35 programme, being an international programme, invites criticism but it does not mean this is not a good bird. Far from it; as attested by the best air forces in the world wanting it.

Lesser mortals like many of us who ply the internet forums and reporters have less than perfect information and are admittedly swayed by nationalist bents and sensational negative news.

Waletski
(Login Grimepoekha)
WAFFer

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 2:20 PM 

F-35 is an overtime,overpriced, overhyped and obsolete aircraft. Only thanks to LM's powerfull lobby this insane program is still running,
all those nations are buying f-35 because of political reasons NOT because its a superior aircraft. Most European nations are better off buying Gripen NG to bridge the fighter gap when UAV's take over.

Danmas
(Login Danmas)
ANZACs (Australia/New Zealand)

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 3:44 PM 

I don't think it can replace the A-10 for CAS as they've said it can though.

(Login Justin177)
Honorary Administrator

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 4:55 PM 

Ahh yes..weve all got no choice but to buy US planes due to political pressure contention...

[linked image]

(Login ruuuumler)
WAFFer

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 6:53 PM 

I agree, F-35 won't be able to replace the A-10 in its CAS role (the US tried it 25 years ago with the F-16 & they failed back then already). But I think that the UAVs will replace the A-10 in there CAS role.

Eric
(Login Nighthawk00)
Eagle Squadron (US)

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 6:59 PM 

the US tried it 25 years ago with the F-16 & they failed back then already
---
That is such a stupid argument. 25 years ago smart bombs were a rarity and not nearly as good as they are today. 25 years ago optronics and electronics in general were not as nearly as good as they are today.
For CAS you need:
1) A long loiter time
2) Precise weapons ... in numbers
3) Good vision of the battlefield

Points 1 and 3 are definitely no problem for the F-35. The second point, well the F-35 can carry a shitload of ordinance externally much more than an Apache helicopter could for example. So yeah I do believe the F-35 will be great for CAS but there still will be a role for cheap and robust A-10 type of aircraft.

crossroadsbakerexplosio.jpg

An unavoidable war is called justice.
When brutality is the only option left,
it is holy.
Machiavelli - The Prince 1513.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

I'm not American, I'm from Flanders.

WAFFer
(Login Serkan999)
WAFFer

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 7:47 PM 

I could see it being overhyped as one said...Dominate which skies? That of 3rd world countries? So what. What are the odd's that big nations square off using their best weapons. This damn paper talk on how rafale ''sucks'' or how good the Eurofighter will be or the F35. How the phuck would you know? US is dominate on the market and will sell these aircrafts and little nations will fly them around and that's it.

Wat alle clubs in nederland over amsterdam denken......

(Login Bota99)
Elite WAFF Vet Club

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 7:50 PM 

I agree that UCAVS will end up being what replaced the Warthog in the end.

My Tank is Fight

E7
(Login E7)
Elite WAFF Vet Club

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 8:12 PM 

The single engine design is what worries me..

"One engine, or two?

Canadas next fleet of fighters will be packed with high-tech gizmos but lack one comforting feature : a second engine.

For pilots who will fly patrols over Canadas vast expanses of territory in the Far North, it means no back-up.

So what happens if the sole engine in the new F-35 Lightning fails?

It wont, Defence Minister Peter MacKay insisted on Friday. It was a bold prediction and one he will be remembered for making.

Canada chose its current fleet of CF-18s precisely because they had dual engines. As the Cold Lake Air Force Museums website notes, Ottawa selected the Hornets mostly because of twin-engine reliability in case one failed during flights between Canada and Europe or sucked in a bird during low-level operations.

But today, the Harper government insists the single engine on the F-35 jets is more reliable than that of previous generations.

Ottawa has also favoured a single engine because it reduces support costs. Half of the maintenance bills for jet fighters are for their engines.

The debate about one engine or two has gone on for decades. The F-22, a fifth-generation fighter that the United States wont sell even to allies, is a faster twin-engine craft.

But government officials say a single-engine configuration will leave the F-35 lighter and more agile to manoeuvre."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/one-engine-or-two/article1643317/

[The Pentagon says over the next 50-years the F-35 program will cost about a $trillion dollars. Yikes.]

-Yeikes? Over 50 years? Barry and the corrupt fed signed away 16x that much in tax payer dollars to corrupt bankers in less than 4 years.. wink.gif

----------------------------------------------
[linked image]

WAFFer
(Login TrippinA)
Eagle Squadron (US)

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 8:50 PM 

I think the F-35 makes a great Attack plane but lacks a little in the fighter department. The lack of speed is it biggest hindrance. Even the F-16 can reach Mach 2, and that is what it is trying to replace. I do not think it is plane enough to replace the F16 in all that it does. That is why I think a F15 Silent Eagle or a F18 Silent Hornet would have a home in the US Military. I think of the F35 more a bomb truck than I do a fighter and too expensive to buy in numbers that are needed and needs to be supplemented with updated versions of existing fighters. That is my opinion of course.

(Login ELWAPO)
Eagle Squadron (US)

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 9:01 PM 

I can't believe people are still "ignant/dumb" about the F-35's air to air role.

How many times is it now where people keep saying, the F-35 air to air capabilities wont be that great..?

These people really need to do their homework cause they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Shovelboy.... stick to subjects that you know, like glory holes in mens restrooms.

----------------
[linked image]

(Login TrippinA)
Eagle Squadron (US)

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 9:41 PM 

It may be able to target and it maybe be able to turn but it will not be able to dominate if the enemy can just run away. We are then not dominating them, just able to fight them when they want. To dominate you need to control all aspects. Letting the enemy get away to fight another day or you need to get away to fight another day. In a fighter speed is life. I am not so sure they can dominate without it.

(Login ELWAPO)
Eagle Squadron (US)

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 9:43 PM 

WAFFer
(Login TurkishDomination)
The Conquerors (Turkey)

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 9:46 PM 

F35 is gonna be amazing!

You lost because of one reason, and one reason alone. Because I was your opponent.

(Login ELWAPO)
Eagle Squadron (US)

No score for this post
December 23 2011, 9:47 PM 

Rafael is better! How dare you! [linked image]

----------------
[linked image]

WAFFer
(Login Fatih1989)
The Conquerors (Turkey)

No score for this post
December 24 2011, 5:52 AM 

With Development of Electro Technology. i think we will be flying Spitfires again in the not to distant future

[linked image]

WAFFer
(Login irkut)
The Red Army (Russia)

No score for this post
December 24 2011, 6:02 AM 

They keep cutting the tranche sizes. The 2012 order just got cut from 34 down to 30 airframes. At this rate they will be lucky to get 1500 inducted in the US. A 10% cut in air frames is HUGE and the cost of the program remains the same! The US is dead broke and there is no way in 2015 or 2016 the current program estimates will hold. They will keep cutting tranche sizes and everyone knows it.

I think at this point most unbiased observers agree the DoD can't afford this plane in the numbers talked about today.

[linked image]

swoopmaster
(Login swoopmaster)
The Anusiya (Iran)

No score for this post
December 26 2011, 12:45 PM 

300 million USD, u better suck me and fcuk me for that price,

I mean for the price of 3-4 of these aircraft you could equip an entire squadron with state of the art European or Russian aircraft. Whats the point, wasn't the price of this supposed to be low to compensate for the expensive F-22, how much does the raptor cost today

In wikipedia the Su-30MKI price is said to be 30 million usd, thats 10 flankers for one JSF, I know thats not what you look att when you purchase an aircraft, (not grossery shopping), but still

...............................................................................................................................................................
Zionist+racism.jpgisrael-nazi-flag.jpg

WAFFer
(Login leopardus)
WAFFer

No score for this post
December 27 2011, 2:21 PM 

>>I think the F-35 makes a great Attack plane but lacks a little in the fighter department. The lack of speed is it biggest hindrance. Even the F-16 can reach Mach 2, and that is what it is trying to replace.>>

It doesn't matter. The future belongs to Avionics where the US leads the world and not Aerodynamics ,superior radars and the capability of detecting and engaging the enemy before he detects you. Mach 1.6 is more than enough for a decisive A2A victory under any circumstances.
F-35 will have a 360 degree situational awereness second to none in the world..

Current Topic - The 10 Reasons The F-35 Lighting Fighter Will Dominate 21st Century Skies  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
WAFF recommends these sites

Indian Defence Analysis      [Definitive Lapse of Reason]