Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Re: Hornung Said
    • kw (Login kw1)
      Forum Owner
      Posted Aug 7, 2008 8:41 AM

While I have to agree with Hornung, I've seen the exact same thing too many times when I used to negotiate contracts for the PD. The older guys are always PO'ed at what the new / young guys are getting as their starting salary. They compare it to what they were making when THEY started 10 - 12 years earlier and are jealous. I had to remind them that they had more time in the pension system and they also just got a much higher salary scale because of the 'new guys'.

I understand that some of the 'old-time' players are having a tough time, but I don't think it should be up to the individual teams to support them. The players have a UNION, so I think it should be incumbent upon the NFLPA to do something. If anybody should care about the players, I'd think it would be other players!

Expecting teams to pay for guys who have been out of football for 12 years is like all of a sudden having an ex-employee show-up at your doorstep and demand you pay him something.
      It's not the teams' fault that players couldn't invest their money wisely. And lets' face it ... even 12 years ago, players salaries were incredibly high. Where did it all go?

Teams don't raise ticket prices because they have to pay-off the mob. They do it mainly because the union has jacked players' contracts through the roof.

Why not expect someone like that scumbag Pacman Jones to give them some money? He apparently has more than enough. Considering that he stiffed Caesars Palace for $20K and had a warrant issued
      for his arrest. And then he had enough to throw around in a Las Vegas nightclub and not miss it.

The Packers were going to be paying Favre millions over the next 3 years anyway, regardless of the way he played. So $20M for 10 years to cover selling rights and merchandising costs doesn't seem too out of line. Now they're going to be stuck with a lot of GB #4 Jerseys.

Have a good one
      KW
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Find more forums on FootballCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement