Return to Index  

A pictured addition (1930´s Mimo)

September 16 2003 at 12:46 PM

PeterCDE  (Login pc01)

Response to A quick look on vintage watch cases by GP

Here´s some addition to the Quick look on vintage watch cases by GP which included a scan of a mid 1930´s catalogue by Mimo (GP´s sister brand at this time):

More or less by accident, i ran into what matches this report nicely:

You can see the scans of the ad in full glory on the case report pages.
This one is a mid/late 1930´s water proof watch case, all stainless steel (quite a novelty then) by Mimo

and here you see the four screws holding the back:

The dial is aged

(and i leave it to you if this has to be regarded beautiful patina or badly stained ). Another view

The dial is very evenly tarnished, which is probably mostly caused by the former luminous numeral. I suspect it had Radium numerals once (of course they are no longer active and glowing), which often leave a brownish patina on the dials.
Apart from that, the dial is in quite a good condition (no signs of rust); that´s a sign of a good case which prevents from moisture very well.

Interestingly, this one is signed Mimo only on the movement. It has been usual practice by a wide variety of jewellers/retailers for many decades to put their own name on the dials instead of the brand; names like Tourneau, Caldwell, Tiffany, Turler, Gubelin and Huber (of Munich/Germany) come to mind. In fact, there are other watches bearing the name H. Horrmann/Leipzig (which was a jeweller in those days) by other makers such as IWC.

The movement is a Mimo/GP 72, a rectangular 7 3/4x11 ligne with "finger bridges" and 15 jewels; not the pinnacle of swiss watchmaking, but a "good movement" then.

This watch was one of the bigger examples then, measuring 23mm width and 39mm length (over the "lugs").
And the last question which may arise is: How does it look on the wrist?
Now, see and judge by yourself:

In my opinion, it´s still a wearable size today.

Hope you enjoyed,
greetings from germany,

Peter

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page