<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

I DID IT...I BROKE THE CODE STENDEC

September 3 2002 at 10:05 PM

I DID IT! I BROKE THE MYSTERY OF THE TERM/ACRONYM "STENDEC".

STENDEC is a world war two acronym used in morse code. The translation is as follows:

Severe Turbulance Encountered Now Descending Emergency Crash-landing.

Source: AF ACRONYM on the World Wide Net.

Oh, by the way the above information is in connection with the Avro Mk III Lancastrian "Stardust" aircraft which crashed in South America.

Happy Doug Vernon:-)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Doug Vernon

I feel like a bridesmaid...I came in second ... again!

September 3 2002, 10:37 PM 

Well I thought I broke the STENDEC mystery but someone was ahead of me. It was fun tracking down all the clues though.

Doug

Brian

Re: I DID IT...I BROKE THE CODE STENDEC

September 4 2002, 12:37 AM 

Don't feel bad - whoever beat you is wrong. Quite wrong. The explanation is not that simple, don't believe everything your read on the web

stendec

September 4 2002, 2:02 AM 

Oh Brian....you're bursting my bubble.

What have I done wrong?

I traced down a part of the acronym which does in fact translate into "Descent" I researched further
finding only a single answer for the entire acronym
at an official site. It is the only site...not person...but site which definitely translates the acronym to what
I have described earlier. One other person came up with the same translation. So, please tell me your reason for not accepting these findings.

Best,
Doug

Anonymous

September 4 2002, 2:21 AM 

Brian,

The definition is also listed under military and government definitions.

Doug

Stendec

September 4 2002, 1:29 PM 

This sounds interesting, but in the programme I mentioned in another posting, re Lancastrian "Stardust," it was stated that, despite extensive research, the Argentinian investigators of 2002 could find no explanation of/meaning for the word.

Brian

September 4 2002, 5:33 PM 

The first thing to realise about STENDEC is that it is only the last part of the message. The entire message was retransmitted when the Santiago operator asked for a repeat. So STENDEC by itself was never sent once, let alone the twice or even three times of some 'accounts'.

The entire message (without gaps) was: ETASANTIAGO1745STENDEC ('SANTIAGO' may have been abbreviated into the airport code - it's not clear from contemporary reports).

The first part is clear - Estimate Time of Arrival Santiago 1745 (5.45pm), then the theories start.
The inquiry into the crash issued at the time states quite clearly that the meaning of STENDEC could not be established. If they didn't understand it then, then it obviously was not a standard procedure or call as is claimed by some.

I refer you to this site, which contains both the offical 1947 report and some discussion and debunking of various STENDEC theories:
http://www.cfspilots.50megs.com/archive/stardust.htm

FWIW I think he sent:
ETA
SANTIAGO
1745ST (=5:45pm Standard Time)
END
AR (sign-off)

but I certainly don't claim that's the solution - associating the 'ST' with the time is pure speculation.

Brian

Re; STENDEC

September 6 2002, 6:27 PM 

As the author of the Gazette article on the following link

http://www.cfspilots.50megs.com/archive/stardust.htm

I would appeal to anyone and everyone to test their brains as to this now, famous mystery.

Best Regards

FZ Christian
Editor
EURO Squadron Gazette

Current Topic - I DID IT...I BROKE THE CODE STENDEC  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on AviationCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

NOTICE: Forum postings are strictly the opinions of public participants, and are not the opinions of Propliners.com. Any postings that are in bad taste, links to advertisements, or links to other non-related websites will be removed. Propliners.com reserves the right to edit or remove all posts. Propliners.com is not responsible for any offensive postings on this forum. We do our best to screen all postings. If you find any inappropriate postings please send an email to webmaster@propliners.com.

Copyright © 2002, Propliners.com
All Rights Reserved