<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to West Papua board  

NZ raises concerns over West Papua

April 29 2012 at 3:28 PM
No score for this post

Friday, 27 April 2012 09:04 Torres News

THE Greens party in New Zealand is calling for that countrys government to take up the sensitive issue of West Papua with Indonesian leaders in the capital Jakarta.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key, Trade Minister Tim Groser and a 26-strong business delegation arrived in Jakarta last week on a three-day trade mission. Greens MP Catherine Delahunty is calling on Mr Key to raise concerns about human rights, particularly the jailing of five freedom activists on treason charges.

The Torres News has been reporting on the plight of the Jayapura Five for several months amid what appears to be a blanket media blackout on the story in the Australian media. Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have also expressed concern about the treatment of the activists.

Ms Delahunty told New Zealand media that West Papua was Indonesias dirty little secret and Mr Key should have the ethical courage to discuss the issue. Mr Key said he has raised the issue of West Papua with Indonesian Trade Minister Gita Wirjawan.

One of the things he relayed to me is its a very complex issue, he said. He said Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono was well-known for supporting human rights. In fairness, he is doing the best he can, he said.

Mr Key said he would tell the Indonesian vice president Boediono that New Zealand was a country with a strong human rights record. We expect every person in the world to be treated fairly and in a way we would treat fellow New Zealanders and that is how we expect people to be treated in Papua, he said.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

No use.

No score for this post
May 5 2012, 6:13 AM 

Mate,
you are reading too much into it.

It is only the Greens bubbling on as they do. There is nothing being done at Government level. For the NZ Govt,. it is business as usual. It is very easy for minor parties to take the high moral ground, and sound all pious

It is a great thought that Aust. or NZ. would actually do something, but I doubt it.

Madi......Ralph

Not quite.

No score for this post
May 7 2012, 7:54 AM 

Mate,
sorry to burst your bubble.

The NZ. Govt has expressed no such concerns. It is just a minor party trying to sound all pious , and posturing to no avail.

For both the Aust. and NZ. Govt, it is business as usual. Their main interest, is in trying to appease Indonesia. Look at what happened when they executed Shackelton and his whole crew in the mid 70s. Gough Whitlam, with a remakable lack of intestinal fortitude, did not even raise an effective protest. And that was Australian citizens executed. Not a stack of primitive black bastatards. Sarcasm intended, in case you misread what I mean. Some of my nuances are often misinterpreted. A sad indictment of the Aust. Govt. and the Aust people. There should have beeen protests in the streets.

Personally, I am in favour of independence for the West Papuan people. (What sane person would not be?) However, I can't see it happening anytime soon.

D

Re: Not quite.

No score for this post
May 7 2012, 9:11 PM 

Ahhhhh Ralph I did like very much, your comment on the 'Butterfly Effect' I think on the politics board where it isnt an ancient chineese proverb but coined by Edward Lorenz in Chaos Theory bla bla bla. Kev Carmody's version is my preference "From little things big things grow".

My point being young Ralph is that time is irrelevent when it comes to change, the process is what matters and as long as their is a will their will (pun intended) be change! Ill leave the 'Rate' of change up to the butterflies!

Viva West Papua

Yangpela mi?

No score for this post
May 9 2012, 7:14 AM 

Aiyo @D.

Mi kisim hamamas tru long taim yu tok "young Ralph". Mi kisim 68 krismas tru.happy.gif

I agreee with you though. If there is a will there is a way. So true.

Look. The world revolves around money. Politicians may pose and bluster, but it is business that keeps the world turning.

So. I do have a theory for West Papua. First, they need a leader who can speak for all. With the USA shifting its main interests back to the Pacific area, the West Papuans need a leader who can engage with the USA, at the highest diplomatic level.

With the USA making money out of the Freeport Mine, on favorable terms from Indonesia, they are not going to support the West Papuans. So, once they have a leader who can speak for them, offer the USA even more favourable terms. Whatever it takes. If the american companies see an unfettered chance to make even more money, support for the West Papuan people will follow.

Later on down the track, they can do a "Hugo Chavez", and nationalize the industries. Devious no?

Whatever it takes......Ralph.

D

The two most powerful warriors are patience and time

No score for this post
May 11 2012, 12:11 PM 

Young Ralph! we are all young at heart though our bodies grow weary!

Brother Benny Wenda and others are doing a great job raising awareness on the plight of West Papua. There is a political movement abroad to bring attention to world leaders about the tradgedy of Indonesian Occupation of West Papua. Link - http://www.freewestpapua.org/

Unfortunately Obama has strengthened U.S military and governance ties with this evil regime because of a romantic boyhood delusion. There are other ways to achieve the same result that you put forward.

I think it was Tolstoy who said The two most powerful warriors are patience and time.

Viva West Papua

Current Topic - NZ raises concerns over West Papua
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to West Papua board