<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Projector OK to put into oven??

July 3 2003 at 9:38 PM
Dan  (Login dan_i_am)

Well, just finished some test fittings with my bi-xenon projectors. Looks like I can't go with my original plan, which was to be able to mount the projector from the rear of the headlight housing, instead of from the front. If mounting from behind, I would be able to do final finishing and re-applying the lens to the housing, using the oven method. Then just screw the projector from the back. Unfortunetly, these projectors are too big, and I didnt want to cut so much of my stock headlight housing.

So, main question is, is it ok for the projectors to be "burning" in the oven when I have to reattach the lens to the housing? Just don't want anything to happen to my projectors, just spent a lot of money on them. Please help me out, thanks!

One more thing, I am planning to use fiberglass to create a custom cover, to cover the exposed projector front everyones view, will fiberglass be ok to put in the oven as well?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login hondacivic98)

Projector OK to put into oven

July 3 2003, 10:13 PM 

You can put your projector in the oven when you reattach the front lense.
I did that too when I reattach my front lease.it's
not a problem, just don't forget to take all the bulbs
away before put them in the oven.
about fiberglass I have no idea.

Respond to this message   

herman
(Login herman_sho)
Forum Owner

Re: Projector OK to put into oven

July 4 2003, 12:21 AM 

You'd have to read the datasheet for the fibre mesh and resin to determine max temps. As far as know, plain epoxy resin is good up until 75-85C, which would get soft and emit fumes at higer temos in an oven. (Not good if being cooked with other metals...fumes will condensate). I think Josh used 24h JB Weld in combination with pure glass mesh and that did the trick for him. I'd imagine the cost of one liter of JBWeld is 5-10 more expensive than plain epoxy resin. I'd visit a local plastic store and ask for 120 C resin.

Respond to this message   
Dan
(Login dan_i_am)

Re: Re: Projector OK to put into oven

July 4 2003, 1:09 AM 

Dope! Looks like I have regular epoxy resin and hardner. Herman, you said that Josh used JB Weld? I have a lot of Devcon Plastic Welder, will this work? Opps, nevermind, I just checked the FAQ, looks like Devcon is only good up to 93C.

Good thing I live quite close to Tap Plastics, they specialize in custom fabricated plastics. Gotta check if they have 120C resin and hardner.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Projector OK to put into oven??
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Direct link to FAQ