<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Resealing the front glass and headlamp

October 29 2003 at 8:05 PM
  (Login MNajera)

Can I just apply heat to the housing and close it??
Or, do I need to buy some sealant (Butyl Rubberized Caulking) to waterproof??

Thanks

- Mario

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login porsche2nr)

Re: Resealing the front glass and headlamp

October 29 2003, 10:57 PM 

if theres still enough sealant on the pieces, but i would use silicone too for added protection, thats what i did

Respond to this message   

herman
(Login herman_sho)
Forum Owner

Re: Re: Resealing the front glass and headlamp

October 30 2003, 10:01 PM 

Automotive lighting Butyl Rubberized Caulking is not in trade for normal people. Clear Silicone is the closest.

Respond to this message   

(Login Legal_Concepts)

March 5 2005, 4:19 PM 

You can get Butyl Rubberized ribbion for windshield/rear window glass repair at NAPA.

AT work we use Hot melt glue it comes in grey or black.

If I ever had to take a headlamp apart I would stick it in a pan and put it in the oven at 400* until glue is gooey, then separate parts and clean, being very careful not to damage the inside of the lens(it is not hardcoated)

This message has been edited by Legal_Concepts on Mar 5, 2005 4:22 PM

Respond to this message   

herman
(Login herman_sho)
Forum Owner

March 6 2005, 2:03 PM 

I find that butyl rubber that comes with headlight works fine as long as coverage is good all the way along seam. The trouble is when/if u discover areas along the seam that have little or no butyl rubber (like aftermarked headlamps). I would imagine you would take some pure butyl rubber in a small pan and heat it up, and then apply it to headlamp. Wasting a screw driver while laying it out is probably not worth it - any tool gets full of almost non removable rubber.
It would definatly be an advantage if butyl rubber could be fed into a gun, but I am not sure how that would work considering its extreme stickyness - most likely tool could never be used for anything else.
I would go for no fume butyl rubber, if not it will fume up reflector lenses in headlight and make them foggy. I would suspect windshield butyl rubber to contain a vaporing liquid, so that a creamy consistancy can be had during install. Glass installers usually ask owner to wait 1-2 weeks get full adehiesion.
The question remains.. who has fume free butyl rubber?

This message has been edited by herman_sho on Mar 6, 2005 2:06 PM
This message has been edited by herman_sho on Mar 6, 2005 2:04 PM

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Resealing the front glass and headlamp
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Direct link to FAQ