<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

page with H9 vs D2S bulb measurements? Also Hella 90mm

February 13 2005 at 8:22 AM
Byron  (Login brwong)

hey Herman, trying to find the page with the bulb measurements. couldn't find them... interested in seeing the measurements for the d2s vs h9. thanks!

This message has been edited by herman_sho on Feb 19, 2005 9:46 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

herman
(Login herman_sho)
Forum Owner

Re: page with bulb measurements?

February 13 2005, 10:31 AM 

It is on this page;

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/special-topics.htm

where u able to find a link for this it on the first page?
( I could not find it at all)

This message has been edited by herman_sho on Feb 25, 2005 3:10 PM

Respond to this message   
Byron
(Login brwong)

February 13 2005, 10:54 AM 

i couldn't find that page either from the link page. thanks Herman!

by the way, do you happen to know how long the h9 filament is?

This message has been edited by brwong on Feb 13, 2005 11:28 AM

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login herman_sho)
Forum Owner

February 13 2005, 3:03 PM 

H9 filement length should be 4.8mm, according to:

http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs1-20.html

Respond to this message   
Byron
(Login brwong)

February 13 2005, 4:46 PM 

after doing some measurements... the d2s capsule needs to be moved further into the h9 90mm projectors by about 2.8mm. at the same time, the length of the arc is about 0.6mm shorter than the h9 filament. that being said... i'm gonna try and come up with a mounting plate that locates the capsule further into the housing. gonna see if i can add some adjustability for it to range from 3.1mm to 2.5mm for focusing purposes (the range co-relates with the ends of the h9 filament).

by the way Herman, another question. do you happen to know which direction the h9 filament is offset toward once its mounted into the projector.

This message has been edited by brwong on Feb 13, 2005 4:59 PM

Respond to this message   

herman
(Login herman_sho)
Forum Owner

February 13 2005, 9:30 PM 

This will move bulb in about 2mm (or however thick your backplate is) for a more ideal filament position.
The offset inside the H9 bulb, if any, is upward, so you would have to move bulb down. More than 1.5mm would not makse sense.

This message has been edited by herman_sho on Feb 13, 2005 9:41 PM

Respond to this message   
Byron
(Login brwong)

February 14 2005, 10:30 AM 

er... i'm confused now. if the filament in the h9 bulb is offset upward by about 1.5mm when in the upright position (connector portion of the bulb facing vertically down). shouldn't i be offsetting the capsule 1.5mm upward within the projector?

Respond to this message   

herman
(Login herman_sho)
Forum Owner

February 14 2005, 11:19 AM 

I probably use a different reference point than u, Byron. The important thing is to move HID bulb down about 1mm. This will make more light below cutoff. The pics I have seen of H9 Hella 90mm beam pattern with bulb totally centered is that hot spot is 95% hidden behind shield. Mobing HID bulb down 1mm (maybe 1.5mm is neded) will likely make hotspot 85% hidden, which is alot better.

Respond to this message   
Byron
(Login brwong)

February 15 2005, 1:36 PM 

ok... i'm gonna try both ways and see what happens to the beam. by the way, i disassembled the projector from my headlamp and 90mm's front glass housing... hooked it up and test to see how much i'm loosing in intensity. it was noticable! the colour at the cutoff was much more vivid and sharper with the projector "naked".

Respond to this message   

herman
(Login herman_sho)
Forum Owner

February 15 2005, 5:56 PM 

I remember that I tried with/without front shell. Almost no differnce. But I cleaned both sides of it in glass cleaner.

Respond to this message   
Byron
(Login brwong)

February 19 2005, 7:57 PM 

ok.. just tested 2 prototype d2s holders that places it further into the housing. the intensity at the edges of the beam is brighter than the original setup i had. as you have predicted herman, place the capsule 1.5mm down yielded a better beam intensity than having it 1.5mm up. the difference between the 2 is huge.

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login herman_sho)
Forum Owner

February 19 2005, 9:44 PM 

So the posistion

was advantagous compared to having it right onto baseplate?

This message has been edited by herman_sho on Feb 19, 2005 9:44 PM

Respond to this message   
Byron
(Login brwong)

February 23 2005, 11:49 AM 

After driving around with the tweaked projectors. I can see why josch (iirc) modified the shield to eliminate the step up. I’m thinking of lowering the upper cutoff. Its too high for hid use. I end up having the beam lower than it should be. Gonna try to make up a plate to lower the upper step in the cutoff. Fortunately I have a pair of spare shields to play with.

Respond to this message   
Sam
(Login Sam95Z)

February 23 2005, 1:32 PM 

Let me know what you find out! I am curious what you end up with in terms of the shield. I think I may make the cutoff straight too at some point, or at least reduce the right hand flare. And if I go though the trouble of moving the bulb with a new holder, I don't want to have to do it again because the shield is now altered.

Sam

Respond to this message   
Byron
(Login brwong)

February 26 2005, 7:46 PM 

ok sam... just shorten the flare by about 0.5mm. i've added a piece of aluminum (0.3mm thick) to the upper flare area and extended it past the original position by 0.5mm. adjusted the headlamp up as well. i kept the flare but just minimized its height. the original flare step difference is 1mm. will see how this works out.

pic of the beam on wall with mod'd shield.

herman... i really would like to compare my 90's against your retro. the area i'm most interested in, is the width of the beam and intensity at the left and right side. can't wait till winter is over man! how soon will you have your retro done?

This message has been edited by brwong on Feb 26, 2005 7:48 PM

Respond to this message   

herman
(Login herman_sho)
Forum Owner

February 27 2005, 3:34 PM 

Looks really good, Byron...
At least picture shows that beam has gotten wider with less foreground light. Just what you wanted. After seeing how great they actually can get, I almost regret buying the ECE single Xenon Bosch projectors.

My project will take a while... I have to work more overtime and we are looking into moving to a bigger place. Both very time consuming, making my HID project going into fall. I have to think of something... I still don't even have all parts I need.

Respond to this message   
Byron
(Login brwong)

February 27 2005, 8:08 PM 

herman - whoh.. so you sold the entire hid system and headlamp from your sho? i can understand the other priorities. but i hope somehow things works out sooner. i still haven't had a chance to see how wide the beam cast on the highway... what with the wet conditions we have lately. i'm still not 100% satisfied till i can see if its truely as wide as an OE hid projector.

This message has been edited by brwong on Feb 27, 2005 8:05 PM

Respond to this message   
Byron
(Login brwong)

March 3 2005, 5:55 PM 

just received my new headlamps. holy crap herman... i thought i will only see a little improvement. but compare the new to my sand/buff/clearcoat ones... my s/b/c ones looks like crap! can't wait to swap front lenses and see what happens.

Respond to this message   
Sam
(Login Sam95Z)

March 4 2005, 11:22 AM 

Byron, did you get new headlamps? What do you mean? Did you get new headlamps woth clear lenses to mount your projectors in? What car do you have BTW?

I have been experimenting with a new bulb holder and I am a little discouraged... Obviously, when you make a completely new backplate, you have to determine where the centerline of the lamp is. This is not easy! I have measured it several different ways, with slightly different results. I am using 16gauge steel sheetmetal which is 1.58mm thick, which (according to my calculations and measurements) should result in a 2.8mm move of the bulb inwards as compared to the original backplate. How did you determine the centerline precisely?

With the original backplate, the centerline is well defined but the bulb is too far out. I am seriously starting to think about grinding down the posts to accomplish moving the bulb inwards. I think it would be easier to measure that precisely than redetermining the centeline precisely.

I moved the bulb around slightly while it was on and that showed that it is VERY sensitive to position (which we already knew), but the rule of thumb that says get it within 1mm is not true when you're trying to perfect the light distribution. It really comes down to fractions of a mm.

I am doing the best I can with a caliper with dial indicator (0.01" graduations = 0.254mm), so I should be able to measure down to almost 0.1mm precision. But I guess it's the precision of the holes in the plate that is not precise enough. How did you tackle this? It looks like you were able to position your bulb much more precisely.

Sam

Respond to this message   
Byron
(Login brwong)

March 4 2005, 12:05 PM 

I’m just swapping out the front lense. The front portion of my 90’s are mounted in my OE headlamp. But my front lense is a little cloudy which I sand/buf/clearcoated. I knew it would not be as good as a new front lense, but I didn’t realize there was THAT much difference between new and sand/buff/clearcoat. So I’ll be swapping out the front lense and re-doing the mounting of my projectors (trying to seal it up better so I don’t get fogging when the lense is coated with wet snow).

Stupid question, are you using a drill press? On another note, I made an ACAD drawing of the template. Printed it on a 1:1 scale, cut out the template and stick it to the piece to be cut. Do you have ACAD2000? I can email you the file when I get home.

as for my car, its a domestic "grocery getter"... lol!

i'm the green one, this was at darknights 2004. we were in the show field.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Direct link to FAQ