The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

Return to Forum Index  

Re: sheeba moroccan tea

February 22 2005 at 2:30 PM
Sarah Head 
from IP address 212.137.63.74

Response to sheeba moroccan tea

Thanks for starting this thread, GoG as the subject matter follows on from a discussion recently on Henrietta's Hebrlist about using wormwood for headaches and the contraindications for pregnancy.

Thanks for your info too, Debs (nice to se you back!)I did some quick website scanning yesterday, trying to follow up Armenian wormwood, Arabian flora and Arabic uses, with a few detours around the Queen of Sheeba and references towards esoteric, mind altering useage of artemesia. Nothing really helped, until I came across a short paragraph in Rough Guide to Food and Drink in Morocco. They noted that Moroccans added chiba to their mint tea in winter to keep out the cold. They translated chiba as wormwood in English and Absinth in French, so I figured the species they were talking about was artemisia absintia or common wormwood. Since French ch's are often pronounced sh, it's not hard to see how the name of the tea could be transfered to Sheeba, especially since Morocco is probably covered by the ancient kingdom of the same name ruled by Soloman's great love. (aka Michael Wood's research for his Myths and Legends series recently)

Wormwood is a digestive and a powerful bitter. As it's name suggests, it's primary use in the past has been to expel internal parasites and is a purgative. This is where most of the warnings about not taking it if you're pregnant come from, because the last thing you want is a purge, the actions of which might trigger a miscarriage.

Most people will be aware of using wormwood in the making of absinthe. This is now banned in many countries because of the neurodegenerative effects of drinking vast quantities of the alcohol.

Common Wormwood grows quite happily in my garden and is already sending out new silvery green shoots. I can't guarentee they will still be there after all this snow, but we'll see.

For anyone wanting to experiment with Moroccan tea, it would be interesting to taste the difference between adding common wormwood to the infusion and roman wormwood, artemisia pontica, which is a much more delicate and subtle plant. Let us know how you get on!

Best wishes

Sarah

Respond to this message   
Response TitleAuthorDate
 Moroccan Tea?DaveDec 15, 2005, 8:26 PM
  Louiza herbAudreyDec 16, 2005, 10:18 PM
  Attn: DaveNadaDec 29, 2005, 8:22 AM
  artesmia illegal to grow?rubyJan 1, 2006, 4:26 AM
   Artemisia-good or badAudreyJan 3, 2006, 10:58 AM
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.