Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

Respond to this messageReturn to Forum Index
Original Message
  • What are you reading now?
    • Sarah Head
      Posted Feb 4, 2008 4:54 PM

Going through the posts about people's top five herb books, it made me wonder what people are reading at the moment, or what new herb books have come into their possession recently. I find it really exciting to learn about books which have grabbed other people's attention and which may help me.

It's really interesting so many people have mentioned Kathryn Hadfield's books as I'm waiting for two of hers to arrive shortly. There are also two Anglo Saxon food books waiting to be read - Ann Hagen's "Anglo Saxon Food and Drink" and Stephen Pollington's "The Mead Hall". I did read through Mary Savelli's "Tastes of Anglo-Saxon England", which is a nice little book and I look forward to trying out some of her recipes when I get some free time.

I've just finished Juliette de Bairacli Levy's "Common Herbs for Natural Health" and have started "The Herbalist's Way", which was recommended by people on the Herbwifery Forum. Although it's an American book it is one of those which instantly grabs you and makes you want to read more. I just wish we had a book written by a UK Herbalist with similar passion and inclusivity. My next book to read on the train will be Joyce Wardwell's "The Herbal Home Remedy Book". Joyce practices in Michigan and used to post on Henriette's herblist before she got too busy. Her posts were always very sensible and thoughtful and she is highly regarded by other American herbalists.

I'm also waiting for Matthew Wood's book, Vitalism: The History of Herbalism, Homeopathy, and Flower Essences. Paul Bergner's School runs on the principles of Vitalism, so I thought I'd better find out what it is! The other book I'm waiting for is Michael Tierra and Candis Candin's "The Spirit of Herbs: A Guide to the Herbal Tarot", I've had the herbal Tarot pack for several years now and it has enabled me to become familiar with Tarot itself whilst steering clear of the more esoteric packs which I've not been comfortable with. Each card gives information about the herb and the pictures are lovely.

Michael Tierra and his wife, Lesley are herbalists in California who follow Chinese herbalism. Lesley has written a well thought of book about using herbs for children. Talking about herbs for children, one of my next purchases with be Juliette de Bairacli Levy's "Nature's Children". I've read some extracts on the Ashtree publishing site and it was some of the most sensible advice I've seen for a long time. My children are all now adults, but I'll keep it as a reference for any potential grandchildren and for anyone else who is interested. (My piano pupils often get dosed with herbal salves or sent away with something to rub on at home!)

Sarah
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.