Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

Respond to this messageReturn to Forum Index
Original Message
  • Wormwood

• Posted May 16, 2008 9:38 PM

Hi there one and all.

I have some questions regarding the above. Artemisia absinthium, from what I have read, seems to have caused quite a stir and I am wondering, if any, what experiences members of this forum have had with the drug. I ask, because firstly, I ordered some from the Yard and looking on the internet I have found various warnings about using hot or boiling water (making an infusion pretty difficult)due to it releasing the absinthe - one such warning lablled it deadly. I figured the release of the absinthe was the whole point...?
      Why would Neals yard and various other companies/organisations not include a warning to not use this herb internally if this was the case? I hope it isn't.
      I also notice that some recipes state half a teaspoonful for a tea infusion (?) which is considerably less than I would use for other herbs.
      Is it safe? Sure I know that absinthe can be a nightmare drink, in excess, I personally don't like it but what, if any, danger could be encountered using it as a simple infusion for a tea?
      Many thanks for any replies in advance.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.