Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

Respond to this messageReturn to Forum Index
Original Message
  • More Fernie

• Posted Sep 23, 2008 9:32 PM

If one googles W T Fernie, one comes across William Thomas Fernie who lived at 4 Pembroke Villas, The Green, Richmond and who married The Hon Adèle Graves 8 Jan 1891. Whether he was the “Water cure doctor” of Malvern I have no idea, but as Adèle’s father apparently didn’t marry until 1870 and as her marriage to the “Richmond Fernie” took place in 1891, that would mean that she couldn’t have been older than 21 at the time of her nuptials. As “our” Fernie was born in 1830, either he got very lucky or it was a different Fernie. I thus conclude that someone snitched the name of the real Fernie or, less likely, that there were two doctors of identical name wandering about Victorian England at the same time. Adèles husband died in November 1914. Shame he couldn’t have hung on for another couple of years as a Wm T Fernie appears in the General Medical Register for 1913 As it is, we can’t definitively pin down whether this was “our” Fernie or not. Definitely something worth following up.

If Fernie was real, it seems extraordinary that no obituaries seem to have been published. My own theory is that his interest in the occult made him a bit of a pariah and so he lurked behind an alias. Any one got any better ideas?

Anthony
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.