Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

Respond to this messageReturn to Forum Index
Original Message
  • Her b Society's position on SR
    • linda harrold
      Posted Oct 13, 2009 5:49 PM

There has been wide discussion on the subject of Statutory Regulations.Whilst the majority of herbalists support it, there are a small group who take the opposite viewpoint.It is a complex situation and I know that some members of the general public who have found it all quite confusing.

I would like to take the opportunity to clarify the Herb Society's position on this subject As a charity, it is not in our remit to be political activists. Our position is one of promoting all aspects of enjoyment and education of herbs.

We are at present faced with the real threat of herbal medicine being denied to us in the future.So with that in mind,the Society discussed the situation at our recent AGM with the members. The overwhelming majority felt that SR was the best way in which to preserve our herbal heritage.

As an educational trust we have, through the forum allowed people to give their viewpoint, no matter what it might be. It doesn't matter what choice you make, as long as it is an informed one.

Speaking personally, although I have doubts about SR, I believe it to be the best way forward. I left my professional group, with whom I trained, a couple of years ago as they did not support SR. It was a very difficult decision, but one I felt I had to make.

Speaking on behalf of the moderators, who, I believe , are all in favour of SR, we do get a bit fed up at times with people thinking either we can't make up our minds what we believe in or are sitting on the fence, because we aprove postings for all arguments.We are doing our jobs properly, thats all. Believe you me, there are many times when I leap up and down when I see a new posting that differs widely from my own views, then calm down and press the approve button. The only time I wouldn't let a message be posted is if it is of an offensive nature.

On a final note, I think the important thing is to view SR as simply one move in this complicated game. The ability to see the end game is going to be vital to stop us from us being check mated by the government aka the drug companies.

Linda
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.