Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

I have 'flu

November 18 2005 at 3:25 PM

from IP address 80.42.119.185

I got up quite happily yesterday morning and actually did a few yoga stretches before breakfast, but by about 11.00a.m. my head was aching and woolly (if you know what I mean). My vegetable box arrived and I made myself some delicious soup with celery and half a rasher of gammon, onion, potato and some whole cloves of garlic. I added a dash of crushed dried chillie and felt temporarily better. However, I was quite headachy all afternoon and dozed on the sofa.

Before going to bed I had a small glass of elderberry rob with some drops of echinacea tincture added. I slept quite well, but my head was still muzzy next morning. I have flu. It couldn’t be bird flu, but why not try the bird flu mixture. It is star anise, which has been macerating in vodka for a fortnight. For breakfast I juiced two oranges, two apples and a piece of ginger and added with great care one 5ml dose of the anise, vodka mixture. The star anise is supposed to be anti-viral, so this is my own carefully controlled clinical trial!!.

Conclusions. It tasted wonderful. I might have discovered something there. Also I feel a lot better. I’ll have another dose tonight and let you know.

Audrey

PS. I never have the flu vaccinations. I'm not quite sure why, but you don't get flu every year.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Re: I have 'flu

November 19 2005, 12:07 PM 

Well good luck Audrey and I hope you soon feel better. I'll be interested to hear how your trial works.

Love Lynne

Flu and star anise tincture

November 22 2005, 11:20 AM 

Because of all the hype in the media about running out of flu vaccine, I thought I would return briefly to this subject.

My flu lasted three days. I decided to try out the star anise tincture, as it was ready, and took it on the second day. It tasted delicious in freshly squeezed breakfast juice. At night I just had a teaspoonful in a glass of water. Again, it was pleasant. I had a dose in juice the next morning. Not exactly a controlled clinical trial, but at least it was not toxic.

I was invited to have a flu vaccination. I didn’t go and I am glad, as a nurse wrote to the local paper about the chaos. Hordes of people had to wait ages and were apparently quite rude and agitated.

My advice is don’t take aspirin or paracetamol to reduce your temperature. Your temperature rises so that the white blood cells move around much quicker to engulf the viruses. Support this by hot toddies, cinnamon and ginger…anything herbal and warming. Rest.

When you can, have soups with garlic, onions and chillies.

I didn’t have any cough or cold symptoms and fortunately didn’t have to go to work or find a locum, so it wasn’t too unpleasant to mollycoddle myself for three days.

Apparently, the flu vaccine will be available in January. I think it will be wasted, as it will be too late to protect yourself this year.

Don’t worry, Audrey

Sounds fantastic!

December 20 2005, 6:03 PM 

Hello,

The vodka and star anise sounds like it would be a lovely drink for over christmas! (as well as fighting off the bugs) Can I ask what quantities you use and how you prepare it?

I also find elderflower tea is fantastic - it can make you sweat but is definitely worth it - tastes great too.

Kate.

Re: Sounds fantastic!

December 20 2005, 7:25 PM 

Hi Kate,
It was a 25g packet of star anise (Chinese) in approximately 500ml of vodka. I put it in a wide necked jar. Let it stand for a fortnight giving it an occasional shake, then strained it and put it in a bottle.

I found that only one teaspoonful added to fresh fruit juice was delicious. It is very concentrated in flavour.

I did make elderberry rob as well. I diluted this with hot water as a bedtime drink when I had a heavy feverish cold.

Audrey

Current Topic - I have 'flu  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.