Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

The Herbmonger March 2008 - The Marvellous Marigold

March 2 2008 at 2:28 PM

from IP address 82.24.131.216

Hi all

Just to let you know that I've just uploaded the latest in Chris Hedley and Non Shaw's "The Herbmonger" series of articles. This month we begin a two part article on The Marvellous Marigold, you can learn how to make marigold ointment and infused oil. I have to say I'm curious as to why they used dried marigold petals and not fresh, I'd prefer fresh as I think there would be more 'goodness' in them. Has anybody made a marigold ointment with fresh petals and if so, what quantity did you use?

There will be a slight delay in getting the March 'In The Herb Garden' article up on the site, I've been commissioned by The Guardian newspaper to write about 13 herbs for a beginners guide to growing veg they're doing which will include herbs. I'll let everyone know when its in print, just in case anyone wants to read it. As a result I'm a little behind schedule this month but I will get the March ITHG article up as soon as I can.

Speaking of articles being published.... Linda Harrold will be having an article published in Country Kitchen magazine on the historical use of herbs very soon. After the
"Leftovers" recipes thread when Sarah, Linda and I joined together to complain about the herb article they had in their Jan 2008 issue, I vowed I'd never buy that magazine again. But Linda as a result of her letter to the editior has ended up writing for them to show how it should be done lol! I'm sure Linda will let us know when the article is out. You can look forward to more articles about herbs and the Herb Society in Country Kitchen in the future, thanks to Linda Both Linda and I will be having the Herb Society contact details printed at the end of the articles, so hopefully it will help bring in more members. It's all looking a lot brighter

Debs

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Sowing marigold seeds

March 3 2008, 3:08 PM 

I just wondered what others had found to be the most successful way of growing marigolds from seed? Every year I try sowing them in pots and get little to no germination, if I do they disappear within days of emerging  I follow the pack instructions to no avail, last year I resorted to buying a few plants to put in the garden, whilst out just now I noticed lots of little seedlings growing inbetween the gravel of the path near where they were planted!
I pulled up a few and potted them on to see what happens. But I'm wondering if I should give up and just throw the seed on the ground where I want them to grow? Marigolds really are my herbal nemesis, any tips anyone has would be greatly appreciated?

Debs

Sarah Head

Re: Sowing marigold seeds

March 3 2008, 3:48 PM 

Hi Debs

Marigolds are one of the few things (besides milk thistle and viola tricola) that I can grow from seed. I just make a small drill, plant the seeds, rake to cover and forget about them. I've not heard of planting them in seed boxes and then planting out.

I always plant at least one packet of seeds new every year and there are usually enough self seeded plants from last year to cover the rest of the garden. I really should gather enough seed to sow my own, but I haven't been that organised yet!

Sarah

Part 2 Of The Marvelous Marigold Now Online

April 2 2008, 8:00 PM 

Just thought I'd mention that the April article in 'The Herbmonger' series by Christopher Hedley & Non Shaw. Is now online, this month we have part two of the article on The Marvelous Marigold, this month learn how to make marigold cream and tincture.

Debs

Current Topic - The Herbmonger March 2008 - The Marvellous Marigold  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.