Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

A Curious Herbal

May 5 2008 at 3:38 AM

from IP address 58.147.52.125

I have just been reading the weekend edition of the International Herald Tribune and I see that one of the items for auction at Bloomsbury Auctions,London on 15th May is a first edition dated 1738 of A Curious Herbal by Elizabeth Blackwell.Expected price at auction GBP 15000 to 20000.

Take good care of those old Herbals,they are very valuable.

Kevin

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Re: A Curious Herbal

May 6 2008, 11:14 AM 

Ohhhh I so wish I had that amount of money to play with, £10,000 would suit me at the minute, I could then buy the complete victorian apothercary shop that Jenny found and donate it to the Herb Society, alas I don't have that sort of money, but I can dream. It's amazing how valuable these old herbals are now, such a shame that more of them didn't survive. Thanks for the heads up Kevin, be interesting to know what it goes for.

Debs

A Curious Herbal

May 7 2008, 6:58 AM 

Debs,

Do tell us more about about Jenny's discovery.

I have been reading a number of items recently about The Oldest Chemist's Shop locted in Knaresborough,Yorkshire and now on my list of places to visit.It seems to have a lot of old artifacts including an old dog operated pestle and mortar.

Kevin

Peter Leyel

A Curious Herbal by Elizabeth Blackwell

August 17 2008, 9:15 PM 

This herbal, printed in London in 1737- 1739, has beautiful coloured drawings as illustrations.
I have just discovered that one can sit at home with a PC and turn some of the pages of this herbal on the British Library website. Try:
http://portico.bl.uk/collections/treasures/blackwells/blackwells_broadband.htm

Re: A Curious Herbal by Elizabeth Blackwell

August 20 2008, 1:37 PM 

Hi Peter

Thanks for posting this link, its good to be able to see the book even if you can't physically turn the pages. The downside of the link above is if you don't have broadband it can take forever for the pages to load. Not to worry the have a link for narrowband/dail-up users as well

Debs

Current Topic - A Curious Herbal  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.