Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

A good use for pineapple mint?

July 22 2008 at 10:31 PM

from IP address 89.241.254.145

Hello everyone,

My Pineapple Mint is doing very well and I was wondering what to use it for. I've thought of Fruit Salad, Pineapple Upside-down Cake or Pudding. In Fruit Cups and Pimm's(When I can afford it!lol) Any other suggestions? I also use it a lot in flower arrangements and Tussie-Mussies. Would be pleased to hear of any good ideas.

Jane T

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Re: A good use for pineapple mint?

July 29 2008, 9:14 AM 

Hi Jane

What about making a pineapple mint jelly along the same lines as apple mint jelly? You could also dry the leaves for adding to pot pourri and make herb bath teas with them

Debs

pineapple mint

July 29 2008, 9:15 PM 

Hello Debs,
Thanks for the ideas, how silly of me not to have thought of Pineapple Mint Jelly. Must be getting old!!! Pot Pourri is good too. I've started to cut lavender at the moment so some dried mint would be a change with that in sweet bags. That's the joy of this forum, we are able to throw ideas around, stimulates the 'little grey cells' Isn't it funny how lavender has become the in thing these days, not that it was ever out with me. When my daughter was a teenager she regarded lavender as an old ladies scent. Since getting a little more mature she has trained as an aromatherapist and uses it frequently. What goes around comes around so they say.

Jane

Re: pineapple mint

September 10 2008, 9:43 AM 

Glad that my pineapple mint ideas were useful, I've been experimenting with ways to use pineapple sage and have had some successful results. It's gone in a cake, into a chicken dish and also dried some for pot pourri and short of using it for making a herb tea, I can't think of any other uses, I'll blame my age

Re ["When my daughter was a teenager she regarded lavender as an old ladies scent. Since getting a little more mature she has trained as an aromatherapist and uses it frequently. What goes around comes around so they say."]

I have to admit to once sharing your daughters previous feelings Jane, until my late early 30's I couldn't stand the scent, I think in all fairness I'd been put off by a cheap lavender scented disenfectant used by my Mum and the fact we had a dotty old aunt that wreaked of the stuff and insisted on giving you huge hugs in her heavily lavender scented bosom.

Since discovering the true scent of lavender as I got older, it's now one of my favourite scents and herbs, my poor neice and nephews are fast becoming in danger of having a dotty old aunt who wreaks of lavender lol! I don't think the Victorian's did much for lavenders popularity, well they did but in a negative way. The Victorian elderly ladies used so much lavender that it became associated with old ladies, and sadly that idea has stuck amongst the young. My step-sons new girlfriend would sooner die than have lavender scented anything about her person. Hopefully she'll grow out of it, or I'll coax her out of it 

Debs

re pineapple mint

September 10 2008, 6:27 PM 

Hello Debs,

I've been thinking of making some jelly with the pineapple mint and have decided that I'd try to include some chopped pineapple. Would be rather nice for filling little tartlets I think. I may also try a sweet and sour chicken dish some time. I shall have a little more spare time this weekend as the Sturminster Newton Cheese Festival has been cancelled because the Recreation Ground would be totaly ruined because of the constant rain. A great disappointment as it is our best show of the year and I have a lovely time talking herbs and herb related topics to as many people as possible. Not to mention filling up the cupboard and freezer with delicious cheeses and other local food. Generally come home with a few more herbs from the nurseryman of couse!lol! Hey Ho! Never mind. Next year will be great.

Jane

Current Topic - A good use for pineapple mint?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.