Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

Recommendations for medicinal herb books for a beginner

September 10 2008 at 12:31 PM

from IP address 79.76.145.122

Hello all
My first post here, and I wondered if i could ask advice on a good book on medicinal and healing herbs. I have only a basic knowledge or herbs, but I'm trying to learn more. The internet is great for info of course, and sites like these are good too, but I would also love a really good illustrated and fairly in depth book on the subject of using herbs for healing, native plants and from around the world.
Can anyone recommend something before i delve into the minefield that is amazon.co.uk!!?
thanks, Jen

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Re: Recommendations for medicinal herb books for a beginner

September 10 2008, 5:42 PM 

Hi Jen and welcome to the Herb Society forum

If you look around the site especially in the bookshelf section http://www.herbsociety.org.uk/bookshelf.htm you'll find books that are recommended by others, most of the articles pages also have some book recommendations. If you scroll down to the 'Forum Members Recommend' section of the above page you'll find some cracking books by Andrew Chevalier and David Hoffman amongst others. If you're looking to make remedies as well as learning more about herbs you can gather from the hedgerow I can heartily recommend Hedgerow Herbal by Julie Bruton Seal. Penelope Ody's "Home Herbal" which was written for the Herb Society is also a good book for beginners.

There are many more I could recommend, if you let me know what you're after specifically maybe I can offer more help. Don't forget that if you buy books via our Amazon link and via any of the little amazon book links around the site, you'll be helping the society raise funds as well. I look forward to reading more posts from you in future

Debs

kate

Re: Recommendations for medicinal herb books for a beginner

September 12 2008, 1:15 PM 

I'll second Hoffman's work - specifically his Holistic Herbal, which covers a good range of plants, medical conditions, herb preparations, herb actions etc.

I agree with Debs, it'd be easier to recommend books if you could be more specific about what you are interested in

Current Topic - Recommendations for medicinal herb books for a beginner  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.