Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

Hedgerow To Kitchen

October 9 2008 at 11:27 AM

from IP address 82.19.185.47

Sarah Head has added to her 'Hedgerow To Kitchen' series of articles yet another wonderful look at a hedgerow herb, this time the Bramble or Blackberry. There are recipes for bramble root vinegar, a blackberry flower essence and a rather tasty blackberry and rosehip syrup. If you have any other bramble recipes you'd like to share, why not post them here?

Debs

This message has been edited by DebsCook from IP address 82.19.185.47 on Dec 14, 2008 11:49 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Horseradish

December 14 2008, 11:50 PM 

Sarah's latest article to her 'Hedgerow To Kitchen' series is now online, this time Sarah takes a look at Horseradish. She encourages readers to have a go at making horseradish honey, which she believes will be useful for colds and sinus infections. Sarah also introduces readers to Fire Cider, a remedy originally by the American herbalist Rosemary Gladstar. Sarah supplies the recipe for her version of this firey remedy, which is brilliant to help stave off viral infections.

Debs

Re: Horseradish

December 15 2008, 4:38 PM 

I have a small confession to make.

When I wrote the horseradish article several months ago, I hadn't made Fire Cider vinegar before. I prepared two batches for the workshops I was planning to hold in December on herbal vinegars. Having now tasted the Fire Cider vinegar, drunk it with horseradish honey and mixed it with sunflower oil to make a "salad dressing" to dunk fresh bread into, I can confirm that it tastes absolutely wonderful! It doesn't taste anything like you would expect from the ingredients and the honey is a perfect accompaniment for a satisfying, not too sweet beverage.

There are now ten jars of vinegar macerating in various cupboards across the Midlands with ten very happy people converted to the efficacy and wonder of herbal vinegars. We all decided that once the vinegars are strained, you could use the remaining vegetables as a base for a soup or stew. Waste not, want not!

To see a write up and some pictures of the workshop, go to http://apotheblogary.blogspot.com/2008/12/learning-about-herbal-vinegars.html

If anyone is interesting in having a list of my workshops for next year and doesn't want to wait until the next edition of Herbs, please email me.

Sarah

Current Topic - Hedgerow To Kitchen  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.