Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

Herbal treatment of acid reflux

April 16 2009 at 8:23 PM
June Lewis 
from IP address 91.109.80.30

As a sufferer from acid reflux - and a keen grower and user of herbs - I am anxious to know if fellow members have found a good remedy for the condition. Websites refer to rather expensive publications which are guaranteed to reveal cures, but I hope for a natural remedy....or at least something which helps.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sarah Head

Re: Herbal treatment of acid reflux

April 16 2009, 10:55 PM 

Hi June

Darcey Blue recommends a syrup made from meadowsweet and fennel. I made some last year and it tastes good. Meadowsweet tea can also be helpful. You may want to talk to someone qualified about your acid reflux if you have not done so already as it can cause lasting difficulties with the base of the oesophagus if it's serious and left untreated.

Best wishes

Sarah

Kathy

Do you drink coffee?

April 27 2009, 2:49 PM 

Don't know if you're a coffee drinker or not but I know from personal experience too much of the stuff can make the condition worse - I believe it relaxes the lower oesophageal sphincter, so I try, (though I don't always succeed) to limit myself to one cup a day now. White wine can also have a similar effect, so if you notice the condition is worse after either of these two beverages try easing up on them to see if it improves. Good luck.

Helen

May 16 2009, 12:13 AM 

Hi June

I have to reflect Sarah's advice to see someone qualified about your reflux, but a syrup of marshmallow root, meadowsweet and possibly chamomile would certainly soothe and calm inflammation caused by the reflux.

Jackie

June 2 2009, 6:51 PM 

I elevated the front of bed with wood blocks - that helped alot. I also used a slippery elm syrup at times, and also rubbed peppermint (a little) and lavender (more) essential oils into carrier on the top part of my stomach.

Red

Reflux

July 16 2009, 5:25 PM 

Hello June,

I have suffered from this recently and have been taking one teaspoon of slippery elm powder each day (mix it with some yoghurt or mashed bannana) and it has helped enormously! It soothes the digestive tract and acts as a barrier so calming the pain in the area.

To help balance the acid in your stomach, try taking 1-2 teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar (unpasturised) in some water. If you google apple cider vinegar you will find some good information on its many uses.

Hope you find relief!

Red

Michael Vincent

Herbal Treatments for Acid Reflux

February 26 2010, 3:00 AM 

Herbal Treatments for Acid Reflux

Many people often feel herbal remedies are a safe alternative to taking prescribed or over-the-counter medication. Sometimes this may be true, but use caution when trying any new treatment. There are a few possible treatments for acid reflux below, but consider other health issues you have before taking any of these treatments.

Orange Peel Extract

1. Orange peel extract decreases the chance you will get acid reflux by helping the food you eat move more quickly to the stomach. This will shorten the time your food spends in your esophagus.

Chamomile

2. Chamomile soothes the irritated tissue of the throat, which helps reduce the occurrence and severity of acid reflux.

Dandelion Root

3. Dandelion root is bitter, which will help you produce saliva. Saliva neutralizes the acid, which can prevent some cases of acid reflux.

Side Effects

4. The side effects of chamomile are vomiting in high doses and some people may be allergic to it. The only side effect linked to the dandelion root is possible upset stomach.

Drug Interactions

5. If you use anticoagulants, sedative herbs (ginger, palmetto, garlic), or are pregnant do not use chamomile. Also, if you take diabetic or diuretic medication do not use dandelion root.

(Edited to remove commercial link)

This message has been edited by SarahHead from IP address 194.221.40.3 on Feb 26, 2010 10:07 AM

Debs

March 1 2010, 7:55 AM 

Just to say that the above article is a copy of one from http://www.ehow.com/facts_5035135_herbal-treatments-acid-reflux.html just so credit can go to where its due.

Debs

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.