Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

Smorage?

August 6 2009 at 10:25 AM
Zoe Brooks 
from IP address 87.82.8.143

Can anyone help me identify a herb much loved by my Lincolnshire granny? She called it smorage(smoridge, smorrage, smorige) and used it for healing wounds. It grew in the ditches and dykes and had roundish leaves. It was used whole - the underside of the leaf was placed on a bad wound to draw the poison and then the upper was placed on the wound to knit and heal. My great great grandad was badly burnt and smorage was used with the result that he hardly had any scarring. My granny used to take it with her to plant in every garden she had, but she forgot to do so for her last home, so I never saw it.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Debs Cook

Re: Smorage?

August 24 2009, 11:57 AM 

Hi Zoe happy.gif

I've had a look through some (although not all) of my old herb books and I haven't been able to find any references to smorage, the only herb I can think of that sounds remotely like it is smallage (Apium graveolens) which is the wild form of celery, though that doesn't have the healing attributes that you say the herb your granny used has.

Plantain (Plantago major) does though and is about the right shape (round to oval) and I know that it has wonderful healing properties for the skin. It can help promote healing in wounds, soften the skin and even to speed up cell regeneration! I can't find any folk names that are anything like the ones you mention for Plantain though.

In Gabrielle Hatfields book "Encyclopedia of Folk Medicine: Old World and New World Traditions" ISBN: 8182900174 she says about Plantain "... in Scotland and Ireland, there has been a belief that the upper side of the leaf is for healing whereas the lower side draws out poison." so maybe Plantian in Lincolnshire has a different folk name?

It may be an idea to contact your local paper or local Women's Institute as someone local may have the answer. Given the above and the fact that Plantain would be found growing in the places you describe I think this could be your mystery plant. Do let us know if you find out for certain what it is?

Debs

Anne Crossland

Smorage

September 15 2014, 1:38 PM 

Hi Zoe
I've just found your message from 2009 on googling smorage. I was brought up in Lincolnshire and for years we always referred to this herb as 'grandma's leaves' and only recently discovered from my father that it was known as smorage. According to dad many people in Lincolnshire had it growing in their gardens for medicinal purposes. I am living testament to the power of smorage as the leaves were always applied when we had splinters as children in the '50's - and they always worked. However, my father and his brother now aged 93 and 91 also have stories of miraculous healing such as yours when applied the other way. I don't think it is the same as plantain, as we also had those leaves too, unless my family misnamed them. You are the only other person I've know with experience of this plant, but like you, have none to use and I'm sure my children raised in Berkshire think I'm telling fairytales!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
Find more forums on Alternative TherapyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.