Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

CONTAMINATED MANURE

August 9 2009 at 5:35 PM

from IP address 79.74.248.204

I've done a search for this subject on this forum but can't find it mentioned previously. I apologise if I have missed it and you are aware of this issue which I would like to bring to your attention.

The basics are that it has been found that 'manure' produced by cows grazing on grassland treated with a herbicide has been found to affect the growth of plants grown on land which has had the manure applied. This problem was first noticed among veg growers last year but is still being experienced. The particular chemical was found in a Dow herbicide and Dow did eventually withdraw the product after much alarm was raised, but they are seeking to have it relicenced.

Whilst not many herbs need manure, perhaps your fruit or veg, or rose shrubs for example could be affected. Also bear in mind, that manure is used by some compost producers - including organic - and some of them are implicated. I grow my own veg and whilst I don't use manure I have used bought in compost for raising and transplanting seedlings (including herbs) and have had great difficulty with a lot of non-germination and non-development of plants, which taking weather, mould, etc, etc into account, has been out of the ordinary.

There is also the issue of this chemical working its way intact through the cow and us humans drinking the milk or eating the meat! Or eating veg which has managed to grow on contaminated land - although the evidence is that not much actually grows. Dow says there is no problem or risk to us!

Regulation and the paramount safety of the public springs to mind!!

Anne
You can find more information on this subject at:

www.kitchengarden.co.uk/forum/index.php under the section "Weeds, Pests and Diseases" and then under the heading 'contaminated manure'.

There is more at: www.glallotments.btik.com/home.ikml along with a petition to prevent the product being relicenced.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - CONTAMINATED MANURE  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.