Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

Statutory Regulation NOT the right avenue

October 12 2009 at 10:09 AM

from IP address 81.107.78.129

Dear Herb Society Forum

I've just been reading quickly some of your postings on Statutory Regulation.

I am a medical herbalist (BSc Hons) practicing from home and i'm worried about the way that we are being bullied into SR or else we won't be allowed to practice.

As i understand it the main reason given for SR is the protection of the public from harm. I find that completely unrealistic in the face of the thousands of fatalities from medical errors or drugs side effects.

Please copy and paste the following link to read more about it and have a clearer view of the situation before you fill in the Consultation Paper:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/support-herbal-medicine.html

Regards

licia

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Re SR

October 20 2009, 10:53 AM 

As I understand it following EU legislation in 2011 qualified medical herbalists will no longer be able to practice if they have not been regulated. Is this not the case?

Re: Statutory Regulation NOT the right avenue

October 22 2009, 12:01 PM 

Hi Licia,

as I understand it, the main reason for supporting SR is to maintain access to medicines.

Hi Judith,

After 2011 herbalists will still be able practice under the current provisions in the Medicines Act 1968. However, access to medicines made up by third party manufacturers will be restricted to "authorised healthcare professionals". Without regulation, herbalists will not be considered as such. They will still be able to but in single tinctures and dry herbs from manufacturers or make their own but the point is, I think, that this is the thin end of the wedge and it would only take one small further adjustment to the Medicines Act 1968 to remove this right as well.

Current Topic - Statutory Regulation NOT the right avenue  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.