The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

Leach book of Bald

March 14 2010 at 9:00 PM
Gayle Copper 
from IP address 92.24.67.111

Hello all,
I am currently researching 10th century medicine, it is fascinating and of course involves herbs in a huge way, many of which are still used for the same ailments today.

One book I have been told time and again to read is "The leach book of Bald" or "Balds Leachbook" unfortunately I cannot seem to find this anywhere. If anyone knows where I may find it please help.

Also to recommend any other medieval herbal books I would be most grateful!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Re: Leach book of Bald

March 15 2010, 11:08 AM 

Hi Gayle

The easiest thing to do is get hold of a copy of Stephen Pollington's Leechcraft. He has a section on Bald's Leachbook and sets it in context with a whole load of contemporary stuff about herbal medicine in Anglo Saxon times. It was originally brought out in hard back by Anglo Saxon books but was fairly extortionate to buy. They published a paperback version recently, so I would give them a ring and see what's available.

Best wishes

Sarah

Leechcraft

April 7 2010, 2:02 PM 

I have a copy of Pollington's book which I'd be happy to lend you if you cover the postage costs. Please email me if you are interested at woldfarm@aol.com

Current Topic - Leach book of Bald  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.