Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

a novice question

August 15 2010 at 11:53 AM
m.ruddick 
from IP address 89.242.20.232

Can I still use herbs that have grown to seed,flowers, and what shall I do with them now.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sarah Head

Re: a novice question

August 21 2010, 11:56 PM 

Hello

The answer to your question is - it depends on the herb. Can you be more specific. Which herbs have you grown/have access to and what do you want to do with them?

Sarah

mark

novice question

August 23 2010, 10:46 PM 

Thanks Sarah for your reply.The herbs I have are corriander,mint,lemon thyme,and Basil.They all had flowers and I use them in cooking.
Mark

Sarah Head

August 24 2010, 9:19 AM 

Hi Mark

Thanks for providing the additional information. I'll answer for each herb individually as they are all different.

Corriander - once the flowers have set seed and the seeds are mature, you can collect them for culinary use. You might want to put paper bags over the plant head to stop the seeds from dropping on the floor.

Mint - the leaves should be harvested before the plant flowers for drying, making a strong tea to freeze in ice cubes for mint sauce, making mint vinegar etc. but, having said that, you will find that your mint flowers will be covered in honey and bumble bees on sunny days, so mint flowers in the garden are a "good thing". There is nothing to stop you experimenting in making a mint vinegar with the flowering mint aerial parts if you have not preserved any mint before flowering.

Lemon thyme - all thymes should be harvested whilst flowering. Cut at the base of the stem and place inside a paper bag to dry somewhere dry and airy. Store in a glass jar once dry. (This should keep for several years and be strong enough for culinary use). Cutting the plant back stops it growing too woody too soon. As well as drying, you can also make a thyme vinegar or a thyme elixir with half honey and half brandy.

Basil - I'm not an expert on basil as I don't use it a great deal. Again I think it's one of the herbs where the leaves are more aromatic before flowering. You might want to take some cuttings now to grow on your window ledge through the winter.

Hope this helps

Sarah

Anthony Lyman-Dixon

August 24 2010, 9:22 AM 

Save the seed for next year and save yourself some money
Anthony

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.